2- the weathervane

published: nov. 29, 2022
。゚•┈୨♡୧┈•゚

We discover that the ladder leads to a lofted room above the two beds downstairs. Wednesday picks the bed next to Enids which leaves me upstairs.

I step back and admire my work. The once plain bed is now covered in my black bedding and a sheer black tapestry draped off the ceiling. I finish unpacking by setting Mothers crystal ball on the desk.

I tuck my suitcases under my bed and set my black tote bag on top. (bring up the sketchpad)

I throw the sketchpad to my bed, it bounces off the side and falls to the floor open. I pick it up and see my face staring back at me. Dark brown unfeeling eyes with long locks of red hair flowing down my sides. Panicked, I quickly look into the mirror at the foot of my bed, grabbing onto my wavy black hair. I sigh. Only my family knows about my hair. I hated being the only one in my family to not have black hair. I've been dying it ever since I can remember.

I see a flash of movement in the mirror. I turn around to see Wednesday at the top of the ladder. I slam the book shut but I know she already saw the image. She tightens her lips but says nothing.

"Come I need help with the last few pieces."

"Of what?" I question but she's already dissapeared down the ladder.

When I reach the bottom I see Enid coming through the door. "What the hell did you do to my room?" she exclaims. I turn to see Wednesday pulling off the last shard of color from the window on her side of the room. A long piece of black tape extends from the sill of the window to the base of the door. The shadow of colored to plain light lines up perfectly with the line on the floor.

"Dividing our room equally." Wednesday states. "It looks like a rainbow vomited on your side."

"I-" Enid starts.

Wednesday walks over to her typewriter. "Silence would be appreciated this is my writing time."

"Your writing time?" Enid comments.

Wednesday talks about the novel she's working on and comments on how Enid's vlog is bad and how her followers are imbeciles.

"It's how they express their feelings although clearly that must be a foreign concept to you." Enid exclaims. Wednesday certainly is not plagued by emotions in the way that I am. I envy her for that.

I turn to go back upstairs, bored of their conversation when the door opens and a lady walks inside holding two pots.

"Good evening, girls! Sorry about the mud." The lady kicks her red boots against the floorboards, splashing half dried across them. "I wanted to see how the Addams twins were settling in. I'm Ms. Thornhill, your dorm mom." She holds up the pots, handing Wednesday a black Dahlia. "I bring each girl a flower that suits them to welcome them to Ophelia Hall."

"A black Dahlia, named after my favorite unsolved murder." Wednesday states.

Ms. Thornhill smiles awkwardly and turns to me, holding out a flower. I stare at it unsure of the name.

"A petunia. It's meaning is calmness and hope." She smiles.

Wednesday interjects. "Though this one is black which means it can also symbolize death or gloom."

"Yes.. I suppose." Ms. Thornhill says uneasily. While she hands me the flower pot her hand brushes against mine. My ears fill with a buzzing sound, the feeling of terror fills my body. Before I can think on it for too long, I am back in the room and Ms. Thornhill is pulling her hand away from mine.

I cover up my confusion with a grimace similar to my sister's. "Thank you."

"Okey-dokey. Before I leave, I want to go over a few house rules. Lights off at 10, no loud music, and no boys, ever."