8- pilgrim world

published: january 24, 2023
。゚•┈୨♡୧┈•゚

The next day, I arrive to town with Ajax and Xavier. Enid decided to go with Wednesday and they are across the group. I catch my sister's glare and return it. 

"All students will report for their volunteer jobs at 10:00 a.m. sharp, followed by a community lunch at 1:00." Weems announces. "As you know, this year Outreach Day culminates in a very special event, the dedication of a new memorial statue in the town square, which will also include performances by Nevermore students." Weems pauses, smiling at all the students. She catches my eye for a moment before turning away. "As representatives of our school, I trust you will all put your best face forward." 

A few students yell out in approval and Weems dismisses us. Everyone opens their letters to see where they are assigned. 

"I got Uriah's Heap.." Ajax says puzzled. "What is that?" 

Xavier scrunches up his nose in thought. "Isn't that the weird, creepy antique store?" 

"Oh, yeah. Well that sucks." Ajax turns to me. "What did you get, Y/N?" 

I open my letter, careful not to rip more than needed. "I got..." I read what it says. "The Weathervane!" I smile slightly. Tyler. 

"No way, me too!" Xavier smiles at me. "At least I won't be alone with Galpin." He mutters under his breath. 

"What?" I ask. He jumps back slightly. He probably thought I wouldn't hear him. 

"Nothing, just happy I won't be alone today." He covers. 

Ajax grimaces. "Must be nice guys. I doubt I'll get anyone good to partner with." 

"Goodluck with that." I say as I walk away. "Xavier, you coming?" 

He shakes his head. "I'll meet you there soon. We still have ten minutes." 

"Okay, see you. Bye Ajax." I wave at the two boys and continue on my way. Out of the corner of my eye I see Xavier walk up to Wednesday, engaging her in conversation. Next to them, Ajax walks to the antique shop with Enid in tow. She must have gotten that place too. At least he won't be alone. I tinge of jealousy hits my stomach. 

My thoughts are interrupted as Weems cuts in front of my path. "Y/N, hi." 

"Hello?" I look at her confused.

"So I just wanted to let you know that I volunteered you to sing with the chorus at the ceremony today. I caught your rooftop serenade the other night and it was.. impressive." She smiles. 

"Oh," is all I can muster before she continues. 

"So I'll see you at 11, Y/N. Be ready!" Weems gives my shoulder a quick squeeze before making her way back to the square. Quickly engaging in conversation with another student.

I stand there for a moment taking in what just happened. Then, before I can dwell on it too long, I continue on my way to Tyler. I mean, the Weathervane. 

The bell rings as I open the door, signalling my arrival to the cafe. 

"Y/N." A familiar voice calls out. 

"Hi, Tyler." I say. 

"Don't you have volunteering to do?" He smirks. "Are you here just to see me?" 

I feel a slight heat rise to my cheeks. "Actually, this is my volunteer job." I walk behind the counter to meet him. "Lucky you." I feel his smile on my back as I set down by bag behind the counter. "So where do we begin boss?" 

He opens his mouth to respond, whatever he was going to say is cut off by the sound of the bell ringing again. Tyler turns to the door and his smile falls, his face hardening with distaste. "Hawthorne."