6- the poe cup

published: dec. 14, 2022
。゚•┈୨♡୧┈•゚

Inside the school, I see Thornhill walking toward the library. As I pass by, I can hear my sister's voice from inside. 

"The Nightshades." Thornhill says.

"Like the deadly flower." I step down the stairs to see Wednesday holding a piece of paper. "Color me intrigued." 

"Hello, Ms. Thornhill." I make my way to the bottom of the staircase. "Do you mind if I speak with my sister?" 

She nods. "Of course." She turns back to Wednesday. "If you ever need anyone to talk to, the door to the conservatory is always open." 

The clack of her red boots up the stairs grows faint as she leaves the room.

"I found something." I say. I explain to her what I saw, and about the Sheriff. She seems distracted. "Isn't that good, Wends?" 

"I have to find something. Don't wait for me." She says. She leaves quickly. I follow her out of the room before watching her disappear towards the boys' rooms. 

------------

I make my way back to our room and find Enid crying on her bed. 

"Where have you been? I'm freaking out right now!" She cries. "Yoko's in the infirmary." 

"What happened?" I ask. 

"Garlic bread incident at dinner. She had a major allergic reaction. She's out of the Poe Cup!"

I forgot about that race. Honestly it could be interesting to win it. It could get me in with the girls and maybe make Nevermore less torturous. "You and I are going to take down the other teams tomorrow."

"Wait. You're joining the Black Cats?" Enid exclaims. Giving me a look of disbelief. "You're willing to do that? For me?" 

I nod. Even though she was a little upset about Ajax earlier, I'm sure we can be civil enough to win this competition. After all, it's not like Ajax likes me or anything.

"So tell me how she keeps winning." I say. 

"It's a real brain cramp. The past two years, no other boat has made it across and back without sinking." 

"Sounds like sabotage." 

"There are no rules in the Poe Cup, and she is a siren, which makes her master of the water." Enid sighs. 

I get an idea. I turn to face her, a rare sighting of a smirk appears on my face. "Then we just need to beat her at her own game." 

-----------

The next morning, I meet Enid outside by the entrance. 

"We're all set." She greets me. 

"Good. Thing's in position." 

"Wanna tell me what you two were up to?" 

I look over at her. "And spoil the surprise?" 

"Speaking of surprises," she smiles. "your costume is in the tent!" 

"Costume?" 

--

"OMG, you look purr-fect!" Enid squeals as I step out of the tent. 

I cannot believe I'm wearing this.. I look down at my outfit. I do look kinda hot though. 

"Where are your whiskers?" She asks. 

"Ask again, and you'll be down to eight lives." I hiss.

"What are you wearing?" Wednesday appears behind me.