11. Prophetic dreams

Coretta

"Go right through that door." The priest sneered, looking equally disgusted as he appeared to be obsessed with me moments ago. Maybe Althea Rosemary had successfully clouded his mind, instead of the very simple priestess that I was. "You'll meet a group of priestesses," he ordered.

"And don't you ever speak if not spoken to." he threatened, taking a step closer. As the temple guards patrolled in silence, I couldn't do anything when he clasped my throat, till tears blurred my vision. He was sick in the head. A sadist. I wish it could kill me, so I'd finally be in my home. In my world.

A cruel smirk tainted his lips.

If Julian knew about you, he would've made your life a living hell. My inner voice cried out, but it was wishful thinking. I was so far from him. This place wasn't even within his kingdom.

A sweet incense wafted in the area as I entered the next chamber, quietly walking behind the priest. I knew he was embarrassing me on purpose as the priestesses stopped their chores to glance my way and their faces twisted in loathing.

When he left, I was too mortified to look anyone in the eye, quickly searching for my companions. But no one wanted to meet eyes with me while they looked at him like he was some God to be worshipped. Especially the one whom I helped get here. Priestess Zina.

A young priestess, held back by a senior priest, two times, alone. Everyone's head was reeling.

I reconnected with my group members, assuring them I was fine. Their little banter was enough to ease my heart.

"Chryseis, over here!" I glanced around at the faint voice to find Miria discreetly waving at me.

"Here, help me weave these flower chains." She brought a wooden basket filled with fresh flowers and kept it next to a wall, just so I wouldn't have to see others judging faces.

"Cors! What now?"

"Are they planning to sacrifice you?"

"Shut up, bitch, no one's sacrificing her! I'm coming over there, Coretta!"

Dunkin and Lorenzo continued as I quietly weaved the flower chains. The situation was too jumbled up for me to make any conclusion. I didn't have any answers to their questions.

'Dunkin, even if you come here, they won't allow you down here.' I reasoned out.

"Chryseis..." Miria was almost in tears. "W- What did he d- do to you?" her lips trembled.

"I'm alright Mir," I kept a hand over her shoulder in a sigh. "It's nothing. The priest was just reprimanding me for some... some mistakes I made." I nodded, more like assuring myself of my lie.

She lowered her head, fiddling with the flowers. "B- But he looked so angry," she sucked up a heavy breath, "And the way he was looking at you, it was not good, Chryseis." She stared at me, afraid, "Did you not notice it?" she asked.

I noticed dear Mir. I had to endure him more than just notice. A dubious fear marred my heart. But then I looked at her. Her unusual hazel eyes shone under the golden lights, and a lump formed in my throat.

Would they... really take this innocent woman's eyes out? Was she even aware of such a possibility? I, for once, may die and return to my world. Live a normal life. And her?

"Do you want to escape this place, Mir?" I asked solemnly.

"No," she whispered. "But I- I don't know why... I feel scared here. Like something's about to happen..."

I felt evil for not having the guts to tell her about the probable eye sellers that may be here. Then again, I too wasn't sure if they really made gemstones with eyes. It would only terrify her further, so I chose to stay quiet.