25. Frail childhood

The crowd of men, women, children, and the old were celebrating jovially as the temple grounds of Aphrodite Urania buzzed with extravaganza. The weather was a perfect blend of sunshine and wind on this breezy spring afternoon.

Colourful strips of linen hung from one pole to another, enclosing the arena in its beauty. Roses, myrtles, peonies and so many of the Goddess' favourite flowers permeated the air with their fragrance.

On a stepped pedestal, high above the temple grounds were several special thrones for the royals who were arriving in small groups, after offering their prayers inside the temple. Music, dance, and plays were soon to begin the celebrations.

Everything was being done for the nobleman's son who had turned one today.

The little one was born in the star of Aphrodite and was thus believed to be a favourite of the goddess. And so, upon the priestesses blessing, the temple of Aphrodite was chosen to celebrate his first birthday.

The priestesses also told his mother how he'll possess unique youthful features as he grows up and will be a great devotee of Aphrodite. They also gave him a name that signified youthfulness.

Invitations were sent out to all the people of the Eastern coast of Greece who had come together to celebrate the youngest son, whose father was an important nobleman of Phillip's court.

Amidst the food and drinks, some people stopped chatting to look at the new royal in awe, who had just entered the throne arena. She held a baby in her arms as several of her maidservants followed her.

She was young and had a striking magnetic appearance. With her sleek black hair and cloudy grey eyes, one could think that she could seduce men, just by a glance. But the sweet innocent smile and her nervous gaze darting here and there would melt anyone's heart. Almost as if she wasn't aware yet how beautiful she was.

Carefully holding her baby, she settled on the throne closest to her baby's father. Excited faces of the public greeted her from afar, and she gave a small smile in return.

"Do you like it all?" she asked her baby sweetly as he stared at the crowd with his big light brown eyes; pressed against his mother. "They have arrived to celebrate your birthday," she whispered to him, placing a kiss on his temple.

The baby giggled before snuggling into his mother, holding at her robes with his tiny fists. She laughed along, caressing his soft black hair.

Feeling a gaze on her, she looked at the other side of the nobleman's throne to find a royal woman. Her heart skipped a beat when she realised it to be his first wife. With a nervous smile, she acknowledged her and the lady beamed back. The young woman knew from her mother how the first wife of her husband had to be given the utmost respect. She hoped she could get along with her like a younger sister.

Beside the much older royal woman sat her ten-year-old son, staring at her baby in malice. Uneasy by the sight, the young woman shifted the infant in her arms, covering his face with her hands.

She was like a clueless little deer in the territory of lions. Holding onto her child as she stared at nothing in particular.

Her mother had told her that the royal family could be a work to handle. But nothing defeated patience and virtue. As long as she did what was asked of her and steered clear of the dark, scheming part of the royal life, she could live happily.

Several of the older royal women continued to enter as they settled at the thrones placed one step lower from hers. She had to stand and greet them all. Some returned her greetings, some ignored right away. Timidly, she settled back, trying not to appear offended. She could hear them chatting and laughing boisterously. Immediately, she tuned out of their conversation because it was always better to not eavesdrop on gossip.