27. Spring in Olympia

Julian

I uncovered my mouth, staring ahead at the Temple of the new syncretic religion. At the border of Alexandria it lay, overlooking the sea at the far end. Jumping down my horse, my warriors accompanied me; the people around, stunned.

"As per the questioning from those sketchy priests in Alexandria, this was the training temple where they brought the priestesses, my Lord," My head warrior Stravos crossed his arms, eyeing the place.

"Weren't our spies deployed around the same area last spring?" I tilted my head, knowing out of the four, two were already dead. The other two were travelling in a guise with a group of eye sellers.

The deranged gem-making group whom I'd overthrown from Romanos, long ago.

But thinking of gems made me think about her... About Althea... and her sky like eyes...

My heart clenched, thumping so hard against my chest that I had to close my eyes.

Only to imagine her face without eyes.

A lump formed in my throat, fists hardened as I marched inside the temple. I tried remembering my mother's cryptic message, but it mentioned nothing about Althea's condition.

Oceans were merciful enough to raise a storm that broke the oyster, but found the pearl within...

I knew how sensitive this information was, to be sent by mother with the utmost precaution. As to not make any sense, if gone in the wrong hands, but...

No matter what happened to her, I'd still love her till her last breath.

Who gave you the right to love her, Julian?

"Your Honour, the flowers..." Stravos motioned to the offerings given by the priest as we stood before Aphrodite's ancient idol in this temple. I shook my head out of the thoughts to pray, not knowing how lost I was to not realise I stood before the goddess.

I took in a deep breath, and let go. How did I forget she was married? And that I probably had to return her to her husband once I meet her...

Oh Aphrodite, this devotee of yours has the most morally wrong prayer to make.

Please don't let her be married.

* * *

"They were in such a hurry to leave the place that they left those glass boxes with eyeballs," Ashtor said as I stood with my arms crossed, facing the setting Sun over the endless sea, the ship sailing gradually.

Upon checking the underground chambers at the temple, the grotesque reality of the eye sellers only unfolded, as we had gone deeper. Until I had reached the darkest room bathed in blood, with eyeless human carcasses laying against the wall. A queue of containers having eyeballs were left behind by the cult.

To even think that Althea had been in such a place, for how long... And the men of that cult, I knew them. Sickened to the core of their soul. Would they have let go of my little nymph so easily...

I banged the first thing I saw on the ship, hard on the floor. My body seething in deadly rage.

Given her beautiful eyes and the fact that she was my court writer,... it was impossible for her to survive in the vicinity of that deranged woman, Jasmira.

How Julian how? How the fuck can you be so pathetic as to leave her alone in this depraved world?!

"Y- Your Honour, is everything alright?" Warrior Calix came forward, tensed, and I noticed Ashtor behind, scared out of his wits.