𝟛𝟡.

"He did all that to that very wall?"

I stared blankly at the white wall on which Xavier had painted his mural on. "Yep. All gone now." Xavier scowled, staring at the wall too, arms crossed. "And you know what's worse?" He then turned to me. "He did all that in front of me, right after his friends assaulted me." He scoffed.

I-I didn't know what to say anymore.

I mean, I'm sure Tyler had his reasons, and one of them has got to be bad company... But that doesn't really fix anything, or justify his actions. What he did was wrong, but I kinda wanted to hear his side of the story too. Fuck, I'm a really bad friend, aren't I?

"Why are you both staring at a blank wall?" Wednesday's monotonous voice finally broke the awkward silence. "It wasn't blank last Outreach Day." Xavier rolled his eyes bitterly, still not breaking his stare.

"Are you still stewing because I rejected your invitation?" Wednesday questioned, sensing his coldness. "I don't know. I did go out on a limb for you." He shrugged. "Oh please." Wednesday scoffed. "I'm just a cannon fodder in whatever cold war you're waging with Bianca." She rolled her eyes.

"I have more pressing issues to worry about." She added. "Oh like what?" Xavier questioned. "Tracking down the monster that killed your roommate, and then almost killed y/n too." Wednesday answered. "Wait, it almost killed you?" Xavier looked at me, worried.

"No, it just--" I started, but was cut off by Wednesday.

"No, it just tasted her to see if she was to be eaten later, or mauled like Rowan for tasting bad." She shrugged. "Actually it just licked me. Nothing else can be confirmed yet." I sigh. "Apart from Rowan's death, of course." I add.

"Oh my god- for the last time, Rowan was expelled. Literally everyone saw him leave." Xavier scoffed. "And have you spoken to him since?" I raise my brows at him. "I know you guys were close." I add. "I did text him a few times... Just never heard back." He answered a minute later. 

"I figured he probably wanted Nevermore to be his rearview mirror." He shrugged it off. "Or he's dead." Wednesday pointed out. "I don't even know why you guys care so much." Xavier scoffed, walking away, followed by us as we were all headed to the town square.

"You rejected him on multiple occasions." He raised his brows at me. "And you never even knew the guy." He looked at Wednesday. "I'm not sure why you care so little." Wednesday told Xavier. "You knew the guy." I add. "People can dismiss us and make a million other excuses." Wednesday started.

"But we're not gonna stop." I finish her sentence, taking the Nightshade book out from her bag, and opening up to the page of the drawing, where Wednesday places the other half. "Brilliant. I guess you both can just add 'thief' to your respective résumés as well." Xavier scoffed.

"Don't make me add 'murderer' too." I glare at him coldly, making him gulp.

"I don't get what the big deal is with an old Nightshade's journal anyway." He said, changing the topic, coming to a stop by the side of the street. "You didn't seem surprised when I showed you this last night." Wednesday reminded. "You've seen it before, haven't you?" She raised her brow at him.

"Yeah. A couple of days before Harvest Festival. It was open on Rowan's desk." He admitted. "Didn't he get kicked out last year though?" I ask, recalling what Bianca said last night. "Yeah, I mean, I assumed he kinda stole it after that." He mumbled.

"And when I confronted him about it, he kinda went ballistic on me." He sighed. "Highkey reminded me of Eleven from Stranger Things with Papa." He added. "Stop, you didn't have to do her like that." I snort. "He threw you against the wall with his telekinesis." Wednesday concluded.

"Yeah, how do you know that?" Xavier questioned. "Have you seen Stranger Things?" I ask her. She just gives me a blank expression, which was probably her way of saying no, and then turned back to Xavier, replying "Lucky guess", about to walk away.

"It's weird that you're into this though." He then said, pointing at the drawing. "I mean, it's like what? 30 years old?" He added. "And what the hell's Crackstone doing in that picture with you?" He asked. "Wait, that's Crackstone?" I repeat, surprised.

"You know who that is?" Wednesday then asks us both. "Yeah, it's Joseph Crackstone." Xavier confirmed. "Who'd you think it was?" He then asked me. "I don't know... Probably like, Willy Wonka or something." I reply, cracking him up.

"Who's that?" Wednesday questioned. "Willy Wonka?" I ask. "Crackstone." She corrected. "Oh... He's like Jericho's founding father." Xavier replied. "Bro's kinda a big deal around here." I add. "Yeah, look. that's him." Xavier pointed towards a posted they were hanging up for some play or something.

"Wanna head to Weathervane now?" Xavier asked me softly while we were on our way to hear the 'special announcement' that was being made. "The mayor's kinda like the last person I wanna be around right now." He sighed, referring to the whole murals incident with the mayor's son.

"Sure... As long as you promise to do all the talking to the normies."