01| A blessing

"Take out the trash, Kasmira." My mother handed me the white trashed back. Storming out the door I see my sister grinning at me.

"I hope the ally has a nice bed for you." I ignored her dumping the trash storming to my room seeing piles of weed packs dumped out of a red gym back.

My sister always hated me, you could tell but never had the mindset to frame me. I stare at it in horror feeling a happy Lidia calling Mother.

My mother rushes up stairs walking into my room hardening her gaze griding her teeth.

Honestly I'm surprised she's not fuming at the mouth.

"KASMIRA KAGE, WHAT IS THIS!" She yelled. I stood there feeling tears rise up into my eyes.

Everyone went blurry but I could still see an angry woman going on about how bad of a child I am. She didn't even bother to see Lidia smiling.

"Get out, No daughter of mine brings drugs in this house." She pointed to my ex-bedroom door not even letting me pack my things.

Present

Hi, I'm Kasmira Kage a homeless woman surviving the second day of sitting in a vague ally with a Michigan blanket covering myself up.

I'm staying behind a bakery never peaking my head into the door just sitting. The idea came to my mind that I should peak in to buy a donut at least.

Whispering to myself I walk into a place full of baby shower colors drooling at the freshly baked cookies with sprinkles.

The smell of the place takes your mind off of anything that comes your way, including a young woman smiling in my face moving her mouth.

Moving her mouth? Why is she moving her mouth at me? is that a defence mechanism now a days?

Wait.. shes talking to me. "What was that, I was zoning out." She laughed handing me a cookie from the stash. "You must be the girl staying at the ally." She acknowledges.

"Yeah, parents kicked me out." I say. She looks at me worried, but just brushes it off. I see her cleaning the place up stacking the cookies in a brown strawed basket putting labels on it.

"May I help?" She nodded a yes teaching me how to wrap the white cloths over the cookies.

For about an hour I did the same routine. I was about to walk out until she stopped me. "Please stay, I've never really bonded with anyone before." She pleaded.

"You know there is cheap apartments on mayhaps drive. About 150 month." I kindly declined the offer but she insisted she'd pay for my first month.

"What's your name?" We said in unison. "My names Dodge." She says winking. I smile telling her my name wondering how her parents thought of such a name.

"What does Dodge mean?" I ask. "Heavy hitter. Back when I was in high school the boys football team always singled me out because I was the only girl."

"One game I hit so hard with all my strength making us win." They called her Dodge from that point on.

"Let me go in the back and make a phone call." I say there Waiting for about two hours until she finally came back with papers.

I seen chicken scratch until the wording seemed to talk about apartment complex's. "How did you? What? I-" my voice thickened.

"I have my ways." She winked.