𝟎𝟔

Slytherin common room in the evening may have been majestic with its dark allure, but come morning gave a different image

Slytherin common room in the evening may have been majestic with its dark allure, but come morning gave a different image. It seemed almost impossible with them being far underground, but the early morning sun reached far below the lake, filtering through the water (which now let them see more than just beyond the glass) and dappling through the room, giving the impression that its residents too were underwater. The chandeliers way above were not spared, reflecting litters of rainbows on unsuspecting surfaces and corners.

Such was the sight that greeted Aster on the first morning of classes, nothing less than magical. It was still some time before breakfast even started, but there were already students milling around. Deciding to take the prefect's advice the previous night, she sat on a rare unoccupied chair that gave her a good view of the room. She mostly heard complaints about summer homework. But even in the buzz of the common room, Aster could spot an unmistakable bubble of energy that surrounded the inhabitants of the couches which faced the biggest fireplace.

Try as she might, Aster couldn't pass whatever they'd put up against eavesdropping, so she settled instead in studying their body language. They were mostly relaxed, arms draped on armrests or behind the couch, but they all sat regally even in the comfort of the common room. And they were all turned towards one person. A bronze-tanned girl with dark hair braided into an elaborate bun and dark, deep-set eyes to match. She looked to be in command, speaking like a general to her troops.

It was unnerving for Aster to not have noticed her last night if she was even there or not, seemingly having the talent to mask her presence as well as to command attention.

The two made quick eye contact, the girl shooting Aster a brief, polite smile then continued on the group's palaver. Though, it was the girl who did most of the speaking.

She also noticed that people who passed by their group gave a small nod, which most would return. Was it out of fear or respect? Aster had been told by her grandfather of the unique systems of Slytherin House. There was a Hierarchy, for one. It was modelled after society, a playground for aspiring leaders and spearheads.

At the top sat the reigning monarch, and after them came the court or council. Advisors or second-in-commands. And the rest followed. There were no limits on who can join or when. But there would be each monarch's own standard, of course, easily kicking out a member as quickly as one can be instated, though it was rare. They'd be chosen for their skills and usefulness, all to aid in the works of keeping a House stable and running.

Of course, if one's reign wasn't solidified, there'd be those against their rule which could challenge their claim. At the end of each school year, a duel can take place if one wishes to ascend to the throne. After all, how well can your magic lead if it can't even stand up for itself? It was the standard way of succession, any other time then the monarch can decline, it wouldn't do being jumped with duel offers behind every corner. But, if it was the monarch who challenged, well, no holds barred.