Chapter 3: New Friend?

The stars were already out by the time they got the last of the boxes inside the house. Xander huffed, slumping over onto the couch, hearing crinkling from the protective wrap sinking around him. He closed his eyes and rested his arm over his face. Xander could tell when his parents had entered by the sound of keys jingling and a door closing.

" Xander," his Mother said, walking to the kitchen for something.

" Your father and I are going to the general store in town." she walked back into the living room and put a piece of paper down on the coffee table. Xander and an eye poking out from the crevice of his arm.

"We might be gone for a little bit so I won't down the number to the nearby pizza place." she leaned down and kissed Xander's forehead before stepping away and following her husband out of the door. When Xander heard the door close has sighed, he sat up and looks at the paper. Glancing at one of the analog clocks on the wall, he saw it was only six-forty-three and decided to wait on ordering. He reached for the tv remote and clicked on the button, hoping that the tv had been connected to the cable box.

Xander let out an annoyed groan when the only thing that came on was white noise and static. He hits the power button again and tosses the remote to the other side of the couch. He glanced at the paper that was still on the table and picked it up. Xander walked into the kitchen and went over to the landline phone that came with the house. He would rather use his one but since the tv had no wifi he doubt his phone would.

After a few minutes of struggling with the dial, he was able to call the pizzeria. He placed his order, gave his address, and was about to hang up when the man on the other end of the phone asks him something.

"I'm sorry," Xander said shifting the phone to his other hand," What was the question?"

"It's fine," that man said, he sounded to be in his late twenties to early thirties.

"I was asking when you would pick up the pizza?" Xander paused looking confused before speaking.

"You guys don't deliver?"

"No we don't, it's a small town after all." The man on the other end pauses before continuing." Is that going to be an issue?" Xander was thrown off by the man's tone of voice, it had an edge to it that he couldn't explain.

"Of course not, what time would it be ready?"

"It should be done by seven-forty-seven!" The person said cheerily. Xander said his thanks and hung up the phone, what's with his mood swings? He thought. He brushed it off as it was just being late and the man is tired. Xander glanced at the clock once more before deciding he would start walking to the pizza place. He put on his coat and boots before sending a quick text to his parents telling them what happened.

He only got a quick Be safe response. He grabbed his key and locked the door behind him. It was a lot colder than it was when they first arrived, so he was trying to be fairly quick about this trip.

.

.

.

Xander has been walking for about twenty minutes when he checked his phone clock. The time read seven-thirty-eight, with a sigh he tucked his phone away into his back pocket. Xander glanced up and saw some stoplights up ahead. Thank God, he thought, relieved he finally made it into town. He only took a few more steps when he heard a yell. Xander glanced behind himself and saw a boy who looked to be are and the same age as Him.

"Hello!" the boy exclaimed, slowing down to a walk and he held out his hand for Xander to shake. Xander was pretty confused and it must have shown on his face. The boy let out a sheepish chuckle and withdrew his hand.

"My apologies, it must be weird for some random kid you never met to come up to you at night." the kid brought a hand to the back of his neck, scratching it. "I'm Riley, it has been a long time since someone new moved in." Riley held a hand out once again, this time Xander took it.

"I'm Xander" he replied, still a bit suspicious but shook the boy's hand anyway. Riley seemed to light up at that, he released Xander's hand and started following him.

"So what are you doing?" He asked, Xander, glanced over at the blonde and shrugged.

"I'm heading over to the pizza place."

"Oh! Can I come?" Riley asked, Xander thought for a second, stopping by a post and pressing the button that was on it. Waiting for the orange hand to disappear so he could continue his journey.

"I don't see why not," Xander replied with yet another shrug. Riley seemed excited, he started talking about the school he went to, and started asking if Xander was gonna attend it. Xander thought Riley remained him of one of those small, yappy dogs that got excited easily. Xander smiled at the thought as he held the four open for his friend.

"What are you smiling about?" Riley asked, a curious gleam in his eyes.

"Nothing, just thinking." Riley was about to say something else when one of the cashiers called in Xander's direction. He walked up to the cashier and told them about the order, the main nodded and walked away. Xander pulled out a twenty and handed it to the man when he returned with a box. Xander took the box and said a quick thanks. Riley was standing up and started heading toward the door.

  "Hey," Xander said, stopping by a table to set the box down. Riley turned around and faced him.

"Do you want some pizza, my parents are probably getting some food while they are out." Xander hesitated before speaking," It's also a thank you for being the first person in this town to talk to me." Riley smiled slightly walking towards the table and sitting down.

"Sure," he said as Xander sat down across from him. " My parents aren't at home either," he said, grabbing a slice from the now-opened box.

"Plus I'd much rather spend time with a friend than spend time alone," Riley mumbled between bites of pizza."

Friend, Xander thought, huh, I like it. Xander smiled for the second time that night.