29

29

The discussion continued for a little while longer, with phone calls made to friends and families to find the more obscure locations and, before long, Purdy had a full list of the remaining places she needed to check. She felt a little exhausted and more than a little fulfilled. Even her hip did not feel as bad as it had, though she thought that may have something to do with her mind focussing on the incredible help she had received.

Thanking everyone in the café, she made her way outside and tried not to look back, but she did. Most of the customers had returned to conversations they had interrupted to help her. Some gave little glances, their faces dropping back to pitying looks that tugged at Purdy's heart, fearing a return to those dreaded, previous looks. A few watched her leave with smiles upon their faces and little waves.

The day had drawn long, by now, and she decided to return back to the empty house. A house that felt even more empty, knowing that Briar would not call round for a post-search chat and to create a search schedule for the next day. Without thinking, her hand dipped into her bag, pulling out her phone and she checked for messages, e-mails and calls. She had nothing. No notifications of any kind.

Frustrated as much with herself, for falling into the trap of finding a mobile phone essential for such things, as she was for wishing that Briar would contact her, she shoved the phone back into the bag, pulling out her keys for the door and entering a place that should feel like home, but didn't.

The late-afternoon, the evening and the night passed in silence. Purdy did not even select an album, or two, to play on that old record player. Instead, she sat and read through the third volume of 'For Eveline' once again, transporting herself to a place where friends stuck together and loved each other dearly. Yet, even that failed to lighten a mood that had darkened so fast after such a good afternoon.

The next morning, she set off early to begin ticking off places on the list. With the aid of the information given to her the day before, the markings on the map, and a full set of medication, she made good progress. She did not take photographs, this time, preferring to spend the time searching for that next, elusive volume. A volume she feared she had missed out upon. She doubted any remained.

Upon reaching a place called the 'Cobbler's Hut', she noticed the figure of Briar emerging from the thicket, flicking through things upon her phone. No doubt, the woman looked at photographs she had taken. Briar almost bumped into Purdy as she walked, her face reddening as she looked up into Purdy's face. Her expression hardened after the initial shock.

"I thought you already had a copy." Trying to straighten her back, Purdy hardened her own features. "Or are you so petty, you're trying to find other copies to stop me finding them?"

"I'm taking photographs. That's what I do. But, I expect only a friend would notice what their friends enjoy doing." Briar emphasised the word 'friend' each time. She shoved her phone into her back pocket and began to turn away before stopping. "For your information, there isn't a book here, but there is a memento. I left it for you, or whoever, because they don't interest me."

Purdy watched Briar walk away, tamping down the tight feeling in her chest and the urge to call to her, to chase her, as well as her hip would allow, but her innate stubbornness put a stop to that. As soon as Briar disappeared from sight, Purdy made her way through the thicket until she found the rundown shack that, according to 'For Eveline' had once held dozens of abandoned shoes and boots.

Now, the hut had become little more than three tilting wooden walls, the roof collapsed inwards. Fading, peeling red paint revealed rotting wood beneath. A door lay upon the ground, almost covered by weeds, blackened edges from years laid upon musty soil pointed towards the warped and broken door frame. And, inside, Purdy could see nothing of those old shoes and boots.