5: Books Have Ears

Xavier's P.O.V

"Sharon Salzberg," he walked away, his muscular-like figure becoming smaller and smaller. My knuckles turned white from a distinct surge of dark red feelings rushing through my blood. "You're in capable hands, Pancake." 

I put the book back into its place where I spied from. Had Mac moved on? It hadn't even been that long and here she was flirting with our team's resident bad boy, Blackmon. A phoney, that's what he was. He wouldn't be any good for Mac. The crowd he ran with, what happened last year.

It wasn't my intention to eavesdrop. I just happen to be at the right place at the right time. I admitted to making out with Nash, my research partner just minutes ago but I couldn't help but feel as if all this was unfair.

He would get her hurt, I was sure of it. How everything came so easily to him, gaining the team's respect in only two years. He owed his success to me, all of it. After taking all I had, he was trying to take her from me. In a silent fury, I rushed out of the library to the school gym. I needed to put my energy into something that wasn't breaking Blackmon's face.

It bothered me how comfortable she looked. I knew Mackenzie. She was shy and sweet, her anxiety would have eaten her alive if it had been three months ago. Where did that Mackenzie go? She was becoming someone I couldn't recognize. She was still naive. The plan was to help her navigate college but a week after settling in, she dumped me.

I couldn't understand why until she told me she knew. She knew that I had slept with her sister. It was just a moment of weakness, that's all it was. I needed someone and Maya was there. If we hadn't gotten into that huge argument I wouldn't have done it. We would still be together. I was a man, after all, one with needs. I respected Mac and would never make her do something she wasn't ready for so I decided I would wait, even after two years, she still wasn't ready... But Maya was.

I thought of the guilt that tried to engulf me moments after I had finished. Maya asked me where I was going and refusing to answer her question I told her that this thing between us, that it was a mistake.

---

"Yeah, mate, Kalia," Jonas walked in and the goalie, Gale followed with a towel slung over his shoulder and his burly platinum blonde hair strongly scented with his signature hair spray. "The sloppy Joe champion?"

"Oh, wait, you don't mean the softball captain?" The two shared a stare-off. Jonas looked at Gale in disbelief while Gale gave him a smug you-know-it-grin. Jonas busted out in laughter and they bro hugged. Jonas was giving praise for getting head from the softball captain.

"Me and a couple of the guys are going drinking." Gale invited me, looking over in my direction, "Wanna tag along, Sitch?"

Gale walked over to the weights and began lifting, grunting with each lift.

"We gotta get in some conditioning before the break," I said in between pumping the weights, the burning tiredness in my arms increasing. "Got a feeling coach is gonna start conditioning tomorrow." I sat up and took a sip of water, "Winter break is two weeks away, might want to keep a clear head for that."

Gale persisted, "Come on, man, you have to join us. The pub's got plenty babes."

"Don't waste your breath, man." Jonas butted in, "Sitch has eyes for only one babe."

"Oh come on, mate." He said resting, breathing heavily. "Forget that slag."

It flew past my ears like a pebble skipping on water and just as it lost its momentum and sunk I caught it. Jonas moved over to the bench, taking a seat. Slag. I've been around Galand for long enough to understand his British slang. So if I heard right, he said slag, slapper... Whore. As soon as my brain fully registered it, my body moved and the next thing I heard was something breaking. The crack sounded sickening.

I took notice of the damage. Gale was holding his bleeding hunched over. My knuckles ached. I flashed my hand, trying to shake the pain out. I wiped the sweat off my upper lip with the back of my hand. I pointed to the towel beside Jonas and without a word, he handed it to me. I clasped it loosely around my neck and dragged my aching body along with me, "Have fun at the pub, mate."

"Fuck." Gale held his head back trying to stop the bleeding, the towel against his nose. The bright red liquid ran down his fuckboy chin, "You'll," He caught his breath, "Regret this." He breathed heavily.

"Maybe, maybe not," I said uncaringly in a sing-song tone.

Gale had never had the pleasure of meeting Mac. She was pure and kind so when he called her a whore he crossed the line. How dare he try to tarnish her character? News spread fast around these halls. After all, Galand's name was Truthe. It was ironic though, Galand Truthe was a liar but in these walls, his words were gospel. It was either you worshipped the chairman's nephew or be destroyed by that virus of a tongue.

"Mark my words, Sitch, sleep with one eye open!" He yelled out, the anger seething out of his voice black and cold with promise. Hopefully smashing his nose in taught him I was not to be messed with. Leaning his septum-pierced nose probably wasn't the best idea but I didn't care. He had better keep Mackenzie's name out of his mouth because Mr. Grey trusted me to protect her. Anyone who hurt her would have to answer me. Galand Truthe was dangerous but he was right, I would need to grow eyes in the back of my head. The third year would make good on his promise.

I grabbed my duffle bag and headed out of the gym, I made a phone call, "Hello, is this Louis's Rainbow Room?" I tossed the duffle bag over my shoulder, "I'd like to place an order."

To be continued...