14: You've Changed

Mackenzie's P.O.V

I snuck out from under the covers and left a sleeping Anna hogging all the blankets. Anna is one of the worst people to share a bed with; I had pain in places I didn't know could hurt. I headed downstairs and into the kitchen to make myself a cup of tea. I turned the corner from the dining room into the kitchen to see Maya perched on a stool.

I knew were going to have to eventually talk but let's just say, I didn't know how healthy conversations at three in the morning could be considered I knew what was coming. We hadn't talked since before she...

She put me in an uncomfortable situation to lie for her; she knew I hated lying and then she boned my boyfriend. She spun around in the chair idly, oblivious that I was standing behind her. I swallowed hard as if preparing myself to turn around and leave but my feet stood planted on the kitchen floor.

Lord help me.

Maya pivoted on the stool, this time a little too far and she noticed my presence. I walked in as if I hadn't been standing there until she finished her tea. "Couldn't sleep?"

I shook my head, taking a seat near her, a stool away, "No. Anna does kung fu in her sleep."

She snorted, "And you don't?"

"Hey, I grew that out."

The kitchen went silent. I glanced at her, her palms cupping the blue ceramic of the warm mug. I took the time to examine her. Maya looked different. She didn't fit her clothes well anymore, her oversized hoodie hung loosely off her body and those cosy pants mom gifted her swallowed her lower half. It may have been rude to think this but Maya looked sick. "Want some?"

Something was wrong.

How did I not see it before?

Yeah, that's right. I avoided looking at her the whole time. Eye contact meant I had to think about what she did, and I would have rather not.

I didn't answer, preoccupied with my thoughts, I adjusted my glasses, pushing them up on the bridge of my nose. I stared at the cup, deciding if I should let her make me some. "It's chamomile," she sighed. I knew she wasn't going to poison me.

I nodded, "Yeah, some tea would be nice."

She hopped off the stool. Strolled over to the cupboard, and grabbed my favourite mug. Her eyes were swollen and red, her lips chapped and I almost hadn't noticed her severely bitten nails. I watched her wordlessly.

Something was wrong, something was definitely wrong.

Her hands shook as she poured some water into the kettle. She placed the kettle on the stove and almost as if searching for comfort, she reached over for the familiar warm ceramic. The sound of the ceramic mug being drawn on the counter toward her was the only echo in the whole house. The heavy winds that forced the trees into an unwilling dance drew my attention, I glimpsed as the shadow in the window changed with the swaying of the tree's branches. Silence bounced off the humble walls of my childhood home and I struggled with Maya's uneasy glances at me as she sipped her tea.

The kettle sang, piercing the thick blanket of silence covering the kitchen like a fog. Maya poured the water into my mug, the sound of an anxious pour as her dominant left shook.

I didn't feel anger toward Maya... at least not anymore. I couldn't tell if it was because she gave it up to the likes of Xavier or because the lies were gnawing her from the inside out. Whatever it was, I couldn't bring myself to hate her, to be angry, the fading rose-coloured glasses that were as veils upon my eyes, wouldn't let me, too much of a powerful wind had extinguished it.