Chapter 41

The raindrops softly tap on the car's roof as Momo stares blankly out the window. A red hue of a stoplight illuminates the passengers on this dark and gloomy day, a setting fit for the event. Inside was Amelia, Mako, and Momo all silent and dressed in black. Momo's eyes were red and puffy, but at the moment dry. It was clear that won't be the case momentarily. The car pulled into the parking lot before the three silently exited the car. As they walked to the venue, somber music played and they took their seats, in the front row. Momo looked to her right and saw across the aisle a redhead, along with half a dozen others that looked to be her age. The redhead made eye contact with her and gave a sad smile. In front of them lay a casket and a picture of a laughing young man with a yellow bug on his shoulder. He held up a peace sign in the portrait and smiled like he didn't have a care in the world. The ceremony begins, but there was a severe lack of words that could truly put meaning to what happened. Momo didn't care about what some scripture said about postmortem she wanted nothing more than to see him one more time, but that wasn't allowed. Due to the gruesome injuries sustained there wasn't an option for an open casket. She had started crying during the ceremony, but since the tears mixed with the rain she couldn't tell when. The ceremony ended and people stood paying their final respects to the fallen. Momo stood next to Amelia and Mako adjacent to the casket for people to apologize after they had prayed. Once again Momo didn't listen to the words they said as she recognized none of them. How could they know her pain, they weren't as close to him as she was. After the ceremony concluded, the people she recognized stood from their seats, among them were the entirety of classes 1A and 1B the staff of UA, Mirko, Gang Orca, and all those who participated in the raid, minus Mirio, Nighteye, and Eri. The non-heroes that stayed were the boys from the front row, Nanami, and Fumiko. Each of her classmates had a similar look of sadness. But the work-study students were more similar to Momo than the rest with looks of anguish and suffering. Mirko walks up to the casket slamming her fist on it. Finally, words were spoken by this group for the first time.

Mirko: "I can't believe you went and died, I knew you were reckless from Hosu, but I never expected you to be such a dumbass! You still owed me 50 pushups!"

Hearing this was the breaking point for Momo as she grabbed Amelia into a tight hug, sobbing loudly on her shoulder.

Momo: "If only I hadn't pushed him away, he was just worried about me, but I made it about myself like I always do! How could I have been so stupid?! He died thinking I hated him! Why the hell did I do that!? I could've stopped him, but now he's gone forever!"

The class was moved by this with not a single one being able to control their tears at this point. The redhead stands from his seat and places a hand on Momo's shoulder, she looks up at him as he stands almost as tall as her boyfriend once did.

Karma: "I'm really sorry for your loss, you must be Momo Yaoyorozu."

Momo nods confused at the boy, she recognized him from somewhere, but couldn't place it.

Karma: "I'm Karma, and this is the former, undefeated Kunugigaoka Mathletes."

This puts a name to a face and explained why he looked so familiar. The rest of the team nods from their seats.

Karma: "Even though we didn't keep in touch, we knew that he was something special. We are truly blessed we met him when we did and we'll never forget our time spent with him. He did mention you to me a couple of months ago when I called him out of the blue. He said you were the best thing to happen to him, and knowing him, no matter how bad your fight was he didn't hate you. I can guarantee that."

Momo's eyes grew wide in shock at the first words that felt good to hear today. She had wanted to leave as soon as possible, not wanting to be in the depressing atmosphere any longer than she had to be. She looked at Karma and gave a smile before hugging him. This surprised him but he reciprocated.

Momo: "I can't thank you enough, from the things he told me I could tell he treasured your friendship more than any other in his lifetime. The only reason I was able to meet the man I knew him as was because of you."

Karma: "I'm glad to hear that."

They broke the hug and from that Momo felt more like herself. She was able to make it through the rest of the post-ceremony and comfort the rest of the students as the new class rep of 1A. Keeping their relationship a secret now was pointless, but if the class were to hear that news before the tragedy they would've lost their minds. Now it was simply not the same. All the students there had recently acquired a lot of free time, the entire first-year class was on a break from school, sanctioned by Nezu in the wake of this tragedy. Still, people called for Nezu's resignation, the termination of Mr. Aizawa, or even the abolishment of UA. Truly this was the darkest hour for the hero schooling system. After she was done consoling her classmates she was approached by Fumiko and Nanami 

Fumiko: "Thank you for being the light of his life, if you would have seen the difference in his mood from when he would come to the lab in junior high compared to when he met you, you would understand as well."

Nanami: "Thanks to his work, his parents won't have to work again, I have padded the bonus from your most recent work to reflect his sacrifice, please take care. It was a pleasure to meet you, and you'll always be welcome at CERN. Especially in room 658, I know it was special to you both, and I'll make sure it's maintained as a tribute to him."

Momo bowed and smiled at Nanami's kind gestures, but mostly at the fact that Amelia and Mako can take it easy after this hard loss. But deep down, she felt, despite the payday, they won't stop working as it would help them distract themselves. After she had spoken to close friends and family, the casket was lowered into the grave. The guests funneled out with Momo, Amelia, and Mako being the only ones who remain. Momo told Amelia and Mako she'd meet them in the car, the parents obliged and left her alone. 

Momo walked to the grave kneeling at the tombstone. She read it carefully and traced her fingers along the letters chiseled into the stone. The quote on the stone read-

"Losing with dignity is better than winning without it."

- Y/n Ishigami

She smiled at this creating a life-size charm of Joltik and placing it on top of the tombstone mimicking his habits as a child. She brushed the damp soil off of her knees blowing a kiss to the grave and made her way back to the car.