Chapter 39 - The Resolve to Forgive

At long last I have obtained the chance to make things right once and for all, I should be happy at the chance to take my revenge against Yukari... yet I cannot help but find this situation bitter, perhaps after all this time a part of me still wishes there was a way to return to how things were, to how things could be... but I know too well that is impossible. I cannot hesitate anymore, even should my damaged body crumble, I cannot afford to back down now. One last time I glance into her violet eyes, brimming with the same brilliance they had all those years ago, but the same cannot be said about mine, gazing at my worn down knife, my eyes faded of colour are reflected, perhaps I'm reaching the end of the line...

I close my eyes and... "This world of ours is truly a mystery isn't it ****? Even after all my years of life and knowledge, I still cannot help but feel helpless... but, at least you'll be there to help me won't you?" ...A forgotten promise, one I failed to honor, how ironic that I would remember it now, I open my eyes resolutely and glare at Yukari.

"HAAAA!!!" I shout at the top of my lungs, a battlecry to cleanse me of all hesitation, I look upon Yukari and say "Let's dance!" with a confident expression.

"Asking me for a dance after all these years Ryan? Quite the gentleman aren't you, I can only respond in kind!"

I unleash the full power of the concealed back door, making its overflowing power surge through my body and blade. In an offensive stance, I aim at Yukari and dash with unstoppable impetus, clashing my shimmering knife against her closed fan.

"Is that all?" She says before launching me back with the swipe of an arm while jumping back and unveiling an array of danmaku behind her, the butterfly formation began to accumulate power and barraged me with a burst of bullets. I try my hardest to dodge her attacks, focusing on evading all shots that come my way, a feat that I would be incapable of doing under normal circumstances, my body has never felt so light, I continue my motion all while slowly approaching, before a sudden realization flashes through my mind.

'Why am I still holding myself back, playing safe will get me nowhere with the limited time I have left.'

I stop my dance and gather strength into my legs, before launching myself at Yukari once again in a burst, her look of surprise shows I caught her off guard, however once again she still managed to parry my attack, but this is far from over. I continue the onslaught of attacks against my foe, pushing her back with momentum as if I was soaring through the air and end my barrage with a kick launching her towards the ground.

It seems like even she had difficulty blocking that completely, after hitting the ground Yukari jumps backwards and launches several projectiles at me once again. Refusing to give up the advantage, I vehemently dash towards her ignoring all the damage my body is taking, after landing on the ground I resume my pursuit whilst launching magical slashes at her. Hastily making my way towards Yukari, I use the remaining power I have left all at once and close in the distance, leaving behind afterimages before finally clashing against her one last time.

"Kuh- Why have you not shown this strength while working for me hmm!?"

"Enough games, it's over!"

I cut through her fan, breaking her guard and unleash the finishing move.

"Fool's Ceremony 「Sword of the Hidden Moon」!!!"

A final slash to end this battle, I can feel the backdoor put upon me crumble and all the energy I had left vanishes all at once, turning me back into a human like any other.

Yukari falls to the ground, but she still yet lives. I am well aware of my limitations and knew I could not finish her with that move, but now she is left powerless. I turn to her and our eyes meet.