An Eye That Sees

A young woman holds her coat closer to her chest with one hand as she jogs over the crosswalk while waving at the stopping cars to her left. With a backpack held over her left shoulder, her raised arm causes the backpack to hug tighter on to her body, leaving a visible imprint on her puffy coat. The weather was cold, dreary and unexpressive. It seemed like any form of precipitation could rain down at any moment. With the pollution in the world, the woman wondered whether snow could properly form at all. Such was the state of the suburban area near present day New York City happened to be. Honking horns, yelling and arguments, litter and trash and slushy, dirty snow mounds dotted the highways and roads with an overall dank, cold wetness to the environment that was distasteful. Her long walks to her university gave her time to breathe and to think, and to download new ideas into actions that she wanted to take to change reality. A dreamer, and a thinker, she was one with her own mind. It seemed that this was the solution to the ever present malignancies of people around her, the unhealthiness and the lack of proper care to one's own soul and vessel was the bane of her neighborhood and education system. Like a Lisa from the Simpsons she always seemed to be one step ahead of the group but still an integral part that could not be jettisoned apart for sheer reliance on it, and the system she was born into. Working with the problem, instead of ditching the problem was what was on her mind. Human rights, environmental support, and vegan activism were things she was proud to take heart in. It just so happens that not everybody saw things the same way. 

Jogging to make it to her 9 A.M class at Bedford Hall, she dodged puddles of water and various slicks of mud and grime, hopping over them like a spring rabbit. Most people could not be bothered to run, and walked in a slow depressed pace looking downwards at their shoes, or their smartphones. This spirit that she had, with the hustle and bustle, she did not want to allow to die as the light within darkness that she was could not allow her to be. Smartphones were the enemy, in her mind they tore everybody away from the world that is present and into a virtual universe that had no tangibility, and were the cause of the depression that people complain so deeply about. Her mind a philosophical treasure trove to the most seeking, yet as of the present she had remained unexpressed. These thoughts filled her mind as she made poetic rhymes within her own mind to the beat of her own step's pacing,

"Hop the puddle, won't touch me,

I shift to brighter, friendlier realities

Slick off the dirt, clean I am to be,

In form and sight for all that I see,

Depressed people's are all around,

Cannot hear Lady Justice's sound,

Crying creatures and beings found,

Unheard and their voices drowned!"

Jogging onward to the hall, she found a brief moment to catch her breath as people poured into the doors into the university. Out of the cold, the many visible breathes of hot air into the low temperature ceased once they reached inside. Dispersing out in multiple directions, she pushed past them all and continued onwards.