STARKWEATHER

It was laundry day, which meant Spencer had to walk three blocks to the nearest laundromat with a basket full of clothes.

    She had done her best to erase the events of last night from her memory, but it was to no avail. She kept seeing Isabelle's whip in the sunlight reflecting off of mirrors, and the tattoos on passers-by kept morphing into the strange marks that had been inked upon Jace, Alec and Isabelle's skin.

    What had the blue-haired boy called them?

    Shadowhunters.

    Spencer push to open the door the laundromat. "Morning, Eloise," she said.

    The older lady looked up. "Good morning, Miss Spencer." Eloise Jamison had been washing her clothes at this laundromat for as long as Spencer could remember. In fact, she was sure Eloise spent all day, every day here, making a few bucks for watching people clothes while they ran errands.

    "Been busy today?" Spencer asked, opening up the door on one of the machines.

    "Nah, not really," Eloise replied. Spencer begin loading her clothes. "But it's only half past nine. Plenty more time for people to get the washing done."

    "You're not wrong there," Spencer said, throwing a kind smile in the lady's direction. She opened the detergent drawer and tipped a cupful of lavender-scented powder in. "Anything new in the romance section?"

    Eloise barked a laugh. "Oh, dearest, that section has been as dry as the Sahara Desert for who knows how long."

    Spencer grinned at her. "I'm sure something will come up soon, El."

    "But it seems as though things are looking up for you, dearest," the lady said cheekily.

   Spencer frowned. "What do you mean?" She shut the door on the machine.

    "Seems like you've got a bit of an admirer." Eloise nodded in the direction of the laundromat window. "Quite a handsome one, too, if you don't mind my saying."

    Spencer used the washing machine's reflective door to see who the old lady was talking about.

    Though the plastic distorted his face, Spencer could tell it was him. The boy from last night.

    Alec. He was leaning casually against the window, but his side profile was recognisable, and the dark marks on his neck were a dead giveaway.

    Spencer tried to remain calm. She didn't know how he had found her, but that wasn't important. What mattered was why he was here.

    She switched the machine on, and gathered her thoughts. It was only three blocks to her school, so provided she could lose him in the crowd, she would be fine. She could sense that there was a fight brewing.

    "Hey, Eloise, I'm going to need you to watch my clothes today."

    Eloise frowned. Usually, Spencer stayed and chatted with her. But she knew something was up, so she didn't push. "No worries, dear. I'm here all day," she said kindly. Spencer dropped a few quarters into Eloise's coin container.

    Wordlessly, Spencer picked up her basket and left.

    She could sense Alec following her, so she did not show it. Spencer suspected he wouldn't try anything in public, but he was unpredictable—an unknown opponent. She could not allow him to make the first move—no, she would have to bring the fight to him, for she would not go down without one.

    There was only a block and a half until Spencer would be home. If she could make it there, she would have the high ground, and the advantage. She walked quicker, getting closer and closer...