DEMON

It had begun to rain, which Spencer didn't think was a good sign.

    All of them, save Clary, had donned black gear and taken shelter under one of the Institute's eaves, when Simon rocked up, honking his horn. The van was bright yellow, and looked remarkably similar to a banana that had long since passed its use-by date. Jace also made this comparison, albeit verbally.

    Clary had only sighed and said, "Let's go."

    The five of them sloshed across the pavement. Simon yanked the the side door open from the inside. The backseats were torn and missing chunks of upholstery in some places, and springs poked through.

    "Is it safe to sit?" Isabelle asked no one in particular.

    "Safer than being strapped to the roof," Simon replied, "which is your other option." He nodded at Alec, Jace and Spencer, the latter of whom nodded back. "Hey."

    "Hey indeed," Jace said. "Where can we put these?" he asked, lifting the weapons bag.

    "In the back," Simon told him, and Jace disappeared while Alec, Isabelle and Spencer climbed into the van.

    "Shotgun!" Clary said.

    "Where?" Alec said, reaching for his bow.

    "She wants the front seat," Spencer explained as Jace also climbed in. He took the seat next to Spencer.

    Simon nodded at Alec. "That's a nice bow."

    Alec stared at him before asking doubtfully, "Do you know much about archery?" 

    "I did archery at camp," Simon replied. "Six years running."

    No one responded, but Spencer gave him an appreciative look.

     "We should go before it starts pouring again," Simon said to them, turning up the volume on the stereo. AC/DC's Back In Black began playing, and Spencer snorted a laugh. Alec, Jace and Isabelle just gave her blank looks, as if they didn't get the joke.

    "Since when do you listen to heavy rock?" Clary asked him.

    Simon glanced at Spencer in the rearview mirror. "When you're not around," he said, and took off.

     "So what's the plan?" Spencer asked. "Do you have any idea what we'll be facing?"

    Alec and Jace glanced at each other. "It should be just some Forsaken," Jace said. "I'm hoping they'll leave us alone, though."

    "Then what's with all the weapons? If you're not expecting a fight."

    "Valentine might show up," Alec said. "Or his minions. We just want to be prepared."

    Isabelle nudged Spencer. "You got a spare ponytail holder?" she asked. Spencer nodded, taking one off her wrist. "Thanks," Izzy said, and began braiding her own hair back.

    "I have no idea what you're talking about," Jace suddenly said of Clary and Simon's conversation.

    "Good," Clary replied.

* * *

Eventually, they pulled up outside a brownstone building in Brooklyn. The rain had stopped, and Alec, Jace and Isabelle got out, intending to check on "demonic activity levels". Spencer was left behind, sitting awkwardly in the back.

    Once they were gone, Clary began to speak. "Simon, about last night—"

    "We don't have to talk about it," Simon replied. "In fact, I'd rather not."