EPILOGUE

Spencer looked up at the sign, swinging in the light wind off the East River.

GARROWAY BOOKS.
FINE USED, NEW, AND OUT-OF-PRINT.
CLOSED SATURDAYS.

    Good thing today was Monday. Taking a deep breath, Spencer walked up the stairs and pushed open the front door.

    Inside, bookcases were so close together that a person would barely be able to squeeze between them. The shelves themselves bowed in the middle from the weight of the double-parked books on them. To the left was a small desk, tomes literally piled on the floor in front of it. There was a wire rotational rack on the desk, hung with bookmarks.

    Small hand-painted signs were nailed to the top of the shelves, detailing the genre of the books kept there: crime, mystery, young adult, science fiction, romance. Spencer saw some of her favourites shoved here and there.

    Further up, towards the back of the store, yet more  books littered the floor. It appeared as if Mr. Garroway had given up on bookshelves and simply stacked them so high, that Spencer's eyes were level with them. Drawing closer, she saw that there were, in fact, bookshelves behind the piles; there were just so many books that they were hidden.

    "Looking for anything in particular?"

    Spencer turned to see a man in his late-thirties standing behind her. He was dressed in jeans and a flannel shirt and wore gold-times glasses. In his arms was a cardboard box labelled ART HISTORY.

    "Are you Luke Garroway?" Spencer asked.

    "That would be me," he replied, setting down the box. "Who are you?"

    "I'm Spencer Green. I'm a fri—I know Clary," she said.

    Luke nodded. "Ah, yes. I've heard all about you. The Ascending mundane. I saw you the other day, at Renwick's." He looked her over. "What can I do for you?"

    "I was hoping that you'd maybe have a shop assistant position opening up," Spencer said. Clary had mentioned in passing that Luke was spending so much time at the hospital with Clary's mother, that the bookstore hadn't been open in days. When Spencer had asked if he was looking for some help, Clary had encouraged her to talk to him.

    "Hm," was all Luke said in reply. "You know much about books, Spencer?"

    She nodded. "Oh, yes. I love them. I read all of the books in my school library, and am trying to work my way through the ones in the Institute."

    Luke nodded. "Look, I'd love to hire you," he said, and Spencer could tell he meant it. "But I just don't have the time to train you. And I've already got another girl working here. I'm sorry."

    Spencer tried not to look disappointed. She thought she'd done a pretty good job until she looked up and saw Luke's pitying expression. "No worries, Mr. Garroway. Thanks anyway." She turned to leave.

    "Wait," he said, and she looked back at him. "I changed my mind." He gave her another once-over. "You know what I am?"

    She nodded. Clary had already explained Luke's...condition to her. Spencer hadn't been bother by it at all."

    "Well, it just so happens that Maia, the other girl that works here, is the same," Luke said. "I'll admit, it's very inconvenient when we're both out of actions for three days after a full moon. And besides, it would be useful having another set of hands around here." He looked mournfully at the stacks of books surrounding them, then back to Spencer. "Tell you what," he said. "You're hired. Maia will train you up, teach you everything you need to know."

    Spencer grinned widely. "Thank you so much, Mr. Garroway. I really appreciate this."

    He nodded. "I won't be here most of the time," he said. "In fact, I wasn't going to come around today, except that I suddenly had an idea of bringing Jocelyn a bunch of art history books." He looked down at the box he'd been carrying. "She's an artist," Luke explained. "Always has been. I'm hoping that maybe she'll hear me if I read them to her."

    Spencer's heart pulled, and she knew that Luke was in love with Clary's mom. She wonder if Jocelyn even knew. "You could try taking her a set of brushes," she suggested. "Or whatever tools she used. It might help, too."

    Luke gave her a look that she couldn't identify. It might have been appreciation. But it didn't matter, because he smiled and nodded at her. "Thanks," he said, and picked up the box. "I'll let Maia know you're working here. Can you start tomorrow?"

    "For sure," Spencer replied. "I'll write my number down for you and Maia." She found a piece of paper and a pen, scribbled down her number and handed it to Luke, who tucked it into his jeans pocket. "Just text me times and I'll be here."

    "Great," he said. Just as she made to leave, he continued, "You were there, at Renwick's."

    It wasn't a question. "Yeah. I was unconscious for most of it."

    Luke gazed at her, assessing her. "What exactly were you doing there, anyway?"

    Spencer swallowed. She got the feeling that it wouldn't be easy to lie to this man. So she didn't. "I was there to save Jace," she said simply. "Clary told me he'd been taken, so I went to find him. Magnus Bane helped me."

    Luke nodded. "Very well, then." He turned to leave, but stopped. "I'm glad you were there," he said. "Valentine threatened to harm you, but Jace wouldn't let him. You stopped Jace from turning to Valentine's side."

    So that was why Clary had been so friendly lately, Spencer thought. Because she thought I saved her brother. "I don't think that's the reason," Spencer said. "Jace is a good guy. He saw through Valentine."

    "If you say so," Luke said doubtfully. "Well, I'd best be off. I'll text you later on, and I'll give your number to Maia, too. Could you lock the door on your way out?" With that, he left, and Spencer watched him put the box of art books onto the back seat of his truck, before jumping and driving off.

    Spencer looked around and grinned. She had a job. And working here, it would be so much easier to keep her secret, because she wouldn't be around the Lightwoods and Clary all the time.

    She walked back to the front door and locked it from the inside. Then, she found the nearest door, and thought of her room at the Institute. Opening it, she saw the dark green space before her, and stepped forward.