Chapter 52: Bad News Should Always Go First

Lan Xichen wasn't the only one of the Xicheng couple that woke up feeling happy that day. Although it had overall been a rough week and he had no idea how chaotic the office would be with Wei Wuxian and Nie Huaisang in charge of it for a day, Jiang Cheng was still willing to count his blessings, especially considering the events of last night.

Waking up earlier than his husband Jiang Cheng had glanced at the satisfied look on the sleeping face and honestly was tempted to kiss him. But he was not as thick skinned as his partner and was afraid to wake him up so instead he got up and busied himself by making breakfast for the two of them. When he was done he got changed into a suit and prepared himself for work.

There was no need to wear the kind of shirt that Lan Xichen preferred since he wouldn't be seeing much of him while catching up with work at his job and he didn't want to start anything physical with the Lan on a day where he hadn't the time to do a thorough job of it. So he picked out something more taking care of business like.

Once he'd styled his hair and finished dressing he considered waking the other man up, but he didn't have the heart to do so to the other when he looked so happy and angelic. Yet he also didn't like to leave after a romantic or passionate night without saying goodbye. Although they were married leaving the morning after without a proper good morning felt too much like a one night stand to Jiang Cheng.

Considering these factors Jiang Cheng went to the home office and wrote out a small romantic good morning message and taped it onto the food covering on the table before grabbing his keys and heading to work.

~

Unfortunately for Jiang Cheng this good mood did not last long. When he arrived at the office the usual late sleeper Wuxian wasn't in. As Nie Huaisang didn't actually work there, or possibly at all, he wasn't in to report what they had accomplished, if anything, the day before. So although he was pleased to note that the building and his office was thankfully still in one piece, he had no idea what to work on directly.

Jiang Cheng sent a fairly strongly worded message to Wei Wuxian to get up and get into the office right away before calling Wuxian's personal secretary in to get more information for the time being. Thankfully the man Wuxian had picked was loyal, hard working, and an early riser. Although frankly considering how pale he looked and the continuous bags under his eyes Jiang Cheng figured that he didn't sleep much. Indeed despite his excellent work Jiang Cheng thought he often looked rather like a zombie.

"Good morning Wen Ning. I know Wuxian hasn't arrived yet, but I need to know what he and Nie Huaisang were up to while I was gone." Jiang Cheng asked frankly upon the man's arrival.

Secretary Wen Ning shuffled his feet looking bashful and a bit distressed. Sometimes he was so awkward around him that Jiang Cheng felt like he was somehow accidentally bullying him. With this in mind the Ceo took a deep breath and tried to calm down so as not to sound snappish as he added,

"Don't worry I won't blame you for what Wei Wuxian does. I'm already grateful to you just for daring to work for him without quitting or having a nervous breakdown," he assured, "Just tell me what I want to know."

Wen Ning nodded, still fidgeting a little uncomfortably before responding,

"Well first they worked on memorizing Lan Qiren's 100 Ways to treat Jiang Wanyin. Then they taught me how to do so," Wen Ning shyly fished out a small box with some milk candies inside, handing it to the Jiang before adding, "I've always admired your kindness and leadership skills."