Chapter Two | Kit

"WHAT THE FUCK Alethea!" Her brother repeatedly banged on the door, "Open up!" 

Thea rested her head against the door, and took a deep breath, trying to steady herself. She was not  it, he was here, in Portland, standing on the other side of the door. Her heart clenched, she had only seen him briefly, but he did not look well.

Why was he here? And why now?

It had been over a month since she last saw him. There had been no phone calls or texts, and now he had the nerve to show up at her door, pretending like everything was fine?

She clenched her fists,  the pain of having her fingernails dig into her palms.

Thea heard another door opening and she pressed her ear against the wood, listening in.

"Some people are trying to sleep! If you continue making all this ruckus, I'll have security escort you out! This is simply unacceptable!"

She smiled briefly, upon hearing Earl's words but her neighbour was right. She didn't want to disturb anyone else on her floor.

Thea heard her brother apologizing, but she didn't hear his voice. Talking another calming breath, she opened the door once more. Rashad had his back to her, speaking to Earl but it was Orson whose grey eyes were trained on her.

He raised an eyebrow, "Are you going to let us in, or slam the door in her faces again?"

Thea scowled, she had half a mind to slam the door in his face, to prove a point, but she didn't. She opened the door wider and stepped aside. The warm and woody scent of patchouli mixed with the enticing notes of vanilla and species filled her nostrils.

She recognized the scent immediately.

He was wearing the cologne she had gifted him a couple of years ago. His arm brushed hers, and she jumped back watching him lean on his crutches for support.

"Don't made yourself at home," she said to Orson before shooting Earl an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry about these two idiots, won't happen again."

Earl merely grumbled before slamming his door shut. Her brother trailed in, "He seems nice," he mumbled.

She ignored the comment before shutting the door behind him. 

"What are you doing here?" Thea asked, her brother before giving a small glance towards Orson, "More exactly, what is he doing here?"

Orson gave her a glance, "Great to see you, as cheerful as ever Thea."

"Don't," she snapped at him. "You don't get to call me that anymore."

If her words had any impact on Orson, it didn't show on his face. He merely shrugged his shoulders, "It wasn't my idea to come here." he lifted his crutch to point it at Rashad, "It was his."

Thea pursed her lips tightly, before turning towards her brother. "And why exactly did you think that it was appropriate for the two of you to show up at my apartment at one o'clock in the morning without any notice?"

Her brother took a nervous step back. "Maybe it would be better if we chatted in your room, privately?"

Thea wanted to say no, but she sighed. The sooner she got answers, the sooner she could kick them both out and go back to sleep. She swept her arms in a grand gesture towards Rashad to indicate that they should head to her room.

Her brother paused, glancing back at Orson, "Take a seat Or. I'll be back soon."

Orson's gave them both a mocking grin, as he settled onto the sofa. "That's very kind of you to allow me to sit while the two of you gossip about me."