Chapter Eight | Punt

COACH KENDRA BLEW her whistle, and their scrimmage came to a stop. Thea leaned over, clutching her stomach as she struggled to breathe. She'd put everything on the line in practice today, to prove to her coach that she was serious about playing on the team.

Thea had played their last match, but she'd been subbed in for Jess quiet early after failing to find her rhythm in the first fifteen minutes.

"Good job ladies, I'm seeing improvements in a few of you," her eyes lingered on Thea's as she said the last few words, but Thea didn't let it bother her.

She would keep her head down and just focus on the game. Coach Kendra's gaze turned towards Jess, and she smiled at the blonde, "Would you like to share the good news?"

"Oh, I didn't know we were doing this right now."

Coach Kendra gave her an encouraging look, "Go on."

Jess smiled at the group, "Well, I'm happy to announce that I've signed an extension with the Panthers, so I'll be here for a couple of more years."

Thea's stomach sank as there was a chorus of congratulations from the girls around her.

"Jess has demonstrated a strong commitment to the team so I'm glad I'll be able to coach her for the foreseeable future," Kendra added.

Her words didn't go unnoticed by Thea. Kendra was issuing a challenge to them. If they played well, they would be given contract extensions and if they didn't, Thea was sure they would be shown out the door.

For a moment, Thea considered, would it be so bad to move to another team? She'd been a part of the Panthers for nearly four years, and she had nothing to show for it, except a couple of playoff losses.

"Everyone hit the showers, and make sure you sleep early tonight. I want you to be refreshed for tomorrow's game."

Her body moved on autopilot. In the locker room, the girls were cheering and jibbing with Jess, saying that the next team dinner would be on her.

"You've been quiet the last few practices," Lauren said casually as she walked up beside her locker.

Thea gave her a small smile, "I have?"

"Well," Lauren laughed as she crossed her arms, "You were never the party animal, but your silence has been noticed by some of the other girls as well."

There was a beat of silence between them as Lauren waited for her response.

Thea shook her head, "It's nothing. I've just had a few personal things come up which is why I might seem a bit more distant."

"Hmm," Lauren said but didn't press on. Her gaze lifted from Thea's to look at the smiling girls across the locker room. "I know Kendra hasn't been easy on you, but if you just give her a chance to know you, I'm sure she'll see how awesome you are."

Her captain wasn't dumb. Lauren had been on the Panther's team for six seasons, and captain for five of those. Of course, she could see the tension between Thea and Kendra.

She picked up her bag and gave Lauren a tired smile, "Thanks, I'll try my best."

Lauren pointed her thumb to Jess, "Dinner's on this one after the game tomorrow, so make sure you're free."

Thea nodded, "You can count me in."

Then, she left the locker room as fast as she could.

⚽⚽⚽

Her phone rang, and she cradled it with one arm, while grabbing the bag of quinoa and adding it to her shopping cart.

Thea glanced at the caller ID before putting it to her ear, "Hey Mom."