Chapter 3: Reflection

He brought me to the door of his room. It's yellow glow reassured me and made me feel oddly calm. Also who has their own face on their bedroom door? Jeez, talk about narcissism.

¨Come on in!¨ he twisted the doorknob and opened the door.

His room was... grandiose to say the least. I have heard the room emulates its owner. But wow this was a whole new level. His room was as extravagant as him... almost. I wasn't sure what I was expecting to see in his room. But I know for sure it wasn't a whole theatere.

A clear passageway to the stage was marked by a red carpet. Red velvety seats circled around the stage all in neat lines. The wooden stage had crates with what I assumed to be costumes. And the blue curtains embroidered with golden stars. It was quite the sight to say the least.

¨Whoa¨ my soul left my body for a hot sec.

¨I know this room is sooooo boring. I wanted red curtains as well, screw you Casita¨ Casita then proceeded to trip Camilo. ¨Aww that hurttt¨ he groaned overdramatically.

¨Heh serves you right¨ I whispered to myself.

¨Anyhow come on I gotta show you something let's go on stage CASITA¨ he yelled.

Then Casita launched us on the stage. ¨AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA¨ I landed headfirst on the stage. ¨My nose¨ I groaned.

Camilo landed elegantly on stage. ¨Oh I am sure it isn't that bad-¨ than he grimaced. ¨OoOoOOOO- yeah it is that bad, it is like a huge bunion or a 8 year olds head¨ he tilted his head and gave me a hand to help me up. I smiled.

¨Uh _______ do ya mind moving back¨ he swatted me away. Then underneath me there was a little pink dress. He picked it up.

¨Uh- whose dress is that?¨ I said, confused.

He stood there, tears welling up in his eyes and eventually dropping the dress.

¨Camilo! Why are you crying all of a sudden?¨ I put my hand on his shoulder and shook him lightly.

He wiped his tears and smiled.

¨I- uh it was Isabella's dress a long... long time ago¨ he sniffled.

¨I am sorry I am just kinda overcome with memories and a lot of emotions¨ he spun around then sat.

I hugged him hard. ¨You don't need to apologise for crying¨

There was long comfortable silence until I eventually pulled away.

¨I used to do plays for my cousins and my sister. Dolores, Isabella, Luisa... how times have changed. After Mirabel didn't get her gift, she would always have a convenient excuse to not show up. Same with Luisa than Isabella. Until eventually there was no one, no one at all¨ he threw the dress down.

¨What's the point of a big theatere if no one is there to see it? What the point of having these costumes if no one will put them on?¨ He kicked the crate but he ended up stubbing his toe in the process. ¨OWWWWWWW¨ he groaned. I hesitated with my questions but I eventually asked.

¨What were these plays like?¨ he stopped whining and sat down next to me on the edge of the stage.

¨I would make little stories to perform and transform into different characters for them. Whether it was the prince or the angry villain. Those plays birthed my love for writing and poetry as well as theatere¨ he continued.

¨Ever since I was young I had always loved entertaining and making people laugh. Whether it was Mirabel or my big sister Dolores. I had always wanted to entertain but it all changed when Mirabel didn't get her gift. They all stopped showing up and eventually I was left with an empty stage with no one to entertain or make laugh¨ he looked at the crumpled dress sadly.