Chapter 18

From the small landing in the stairwell, Cochise had eyes on the apartment. His position afforded him the ability to quickly step out of sight should someone exit the apartment. When he heard the door open, he moved back. Footsteps raced along the hallway, coming in his direction. He drew his weapon and waited.

The little girl came rushing down the stairwell, eyes on the steps, not looking ahead. She plowed into Cochise then reeled back with a gasp, her frightened stare crawling up his massive frame to his rugged face. Another small gasp escaped her when she spotted his weapon and she retreated a few more steps, her small chest heaving. Most folks were terrified at the sight of the Egyptian, but this child's fear stemmed from another source. She was already scared when she ran into Cochise.

Like trapped prey, the girl stood tense and trembling, her wide eyes darting in every direction.

Cochise slowly holstered the gun and raised his hands. "It's okay," he spoke low, calmly. "I'm not going to hurt you." He made another quick assessment of her frightened state. "Are you all right?" She had come from the old man's apartment. The old timer had told the detective it was just him and his granddaughter living there. Clint had sensed something off about the man; a tremor in his words that suggested perhaps things weren't right in his little world.

Stay here and watch that apartment, Clint instructed. Keep out of sight. See if anyone comes out.

The Egyptian had learned long ago to trust the cowboy's gut feelings. Cochise's gut began talking, as well, the minute the old man answered the door.

"Is your grandfather all right?" Cochise asked. "Is someone else in your apartment?" He took out his phone and showed the girl the photo of the two missing kids. "Have you seen them? I'm with the cop who came to your door. I want to take them home."

The girl sniffed, uncertainty etched across her face.

"If your grandfather is in trouble, you need to tell me. I can help him."

The child's chin trembled. "They... they're in there."

"Who? The kids?"

She nodded. "And... and a bad man."

"Is there a woman with him?"

"Yes." The little girl swallowed, her throat working. "But... but poppa... got her."

Cochise frowned. "Got her? What do you mean?"

"She-she's... dead."

Cochise wasn't prepared for that bit of news. "Your grandpa... killed her?" Cochise hadn't gotten a good look at the old man, but his impression was one of frailty.

"How did he do that?"

The child flexed her small hands. "He... he used to be in the army. Special forces. He has medals."

Shit. Maybe the frailty bit was merely an act put on for the intruders.

"What about the man? Where was he when your grandpa took out the woman?"

"The bathroom," she whispered. "He took the two kids with him. He... he said he wanted to wash the boy." She lowered her eyes. "He was scared."

"The boy?"

She nodded. "And the girl."

"Did your grandpa send you out of the apartment?"

"Yes." She looked up, tears in her eyes. "He told me to hide in the special hiding place. He said he needed to help the kids."

The old man was surely capable of taking down the man as well, but one mishap and this child would be left an orphan. And that wasn't an option.

"Do as your grandpa told you," Cochise said. "Hide. I'll help him with the bad man—"