XLI

By the time the cyanide wears off, my throat is drier than sandpaper.

I have always hated Cyanide, it always made me feel like crap afterwards.

I force my eyes open, my eyelids still feeling like a deadweight. My room is dark, there is no light coming in through the crack between the curtains.

It's still nighttime.

I turn my head, glancing around my room, searching. Every shadow sets off my fight or flight, I can't tell if they are just piles of clothes or a threat.

And then one of the shadows move.

It is only when I go to move as well that I realize how unbelievably fucked I am.

My hands are tied above my head, bound to the headboard with a pair of handcuffs. Police handcuffs. I tug on them, desperately trying to break free. But my arms are still weak from the poison; despite putting all my strength into attempting to free myself, my muscles won't let me break the metal.

I curse myself.

How could I have been so careless?

"Fuck." I pull on the restraints, only succeeding in rubbing my wrists raw.

"Oh stop that." The shadow says.

I freeze.

That bitch.

"What the fuck?" I exclaim, pulling at the cuffs. "You know I fucking hate cyanide." I glare at her as she walks closer. With my eyes adjusting to the darkness of the room, I can make out some of her beautiful features.

"Fridrik is freaking out right now, you know," Laura says. "He believes that somehow they were able to get you to switch sides."

"Untie me." I grit out.

"Is it true?" She asks.

"Untie me."

She looks me up and down, her face stays neutral, but I can see the light sparkle in her eyes. "No. I don't think I will." She says after a moment, twirling a knife I hadn't noticed in her hand. "I quite like the helpless look on you."

"Laura, love." I breathe. "Please untie me."

"Are you on their side?"

"What?" I raise my brows in surprise. "Why the fuck would you think that?"

She shrugs. "It makes sense, you never told any of us about your life before Hydra, and then you ordered us to get off the island while you stayed behind to be captured. That alone was enough to raise suspicion. Now you're living happily with you father, and hanging out with your old friends. It all adds up, you could have been a double agent this whole time."

"Is that why you tied me up? In case I was working with them?"

She shrugs again.

"What would you have done to me if I was?"

"I don't know."

"Torture me?" I ask, looking at the knife. "Kill me?"

"I don't know."

I cock my head, intrigued by the fact that she doesn't have a plan. "Fridrik doesn't know you're here, does he?"

She stays silent.

"Where are they?" I ask, knowing that even though Fridrik might not know that she's here, she would never have come to find me without Jack, Gabe, and Colton. They must be somewhere on the perimeter, keeping watch.