1 - CLOSE ENCOUNTERS

WARGAMES
CHAPTER ONE

THE VIEW FROM OPHELIA HALL WAS A PLEASANT ONE

THE VIEW FROM OPHELIA HALL WAS A PLEASANT ONE. Granted, the view from Seraphina Hall overlooked the mountains that Alora found most comforting. It was nice to know when she wanted to escape there was entire refuge on the other side of Jericho. However, although Ophelia Hall looked over the quad which should've been unsettling, Alora thought there was some type of advantage to seeing all of your enemies at close range.

Alora knew that moving to Ophelia Hall was a good thing, but she still felt the hollowness in her heart. She stood on the balcony above the quad, next to the gargoyles that guarded her room. Seeking an extra thrill, she stood on the edge of the handrail. Everyone saw her. They might have been alarmed if they didn't think she was more likely to rain hellfire over the school than jump off it.

Alora surveyed the quad of her old friends and foes. Bianca Barclay stood at the centre with her usual posse with the new addition of Mira Stoker. Alora tried not to let it sting her.

No one paid attention to her. She was the outcast of outcasts since the incident. Before people would tease and bully her, expecting a reaction, but now they gave up. They didn't care anymore. She spent most of her days watching her classmates from atop her balcony like a gargoyle herself.

From down below, Mira Stoker felt eyes on her, burning her skull with a fiery gaze. She lifted her head to where the gargoyles gathered. She was not shocked to find Alora Thorpe staring back at her. Mira gulped, swallowing her feelings, Alora tore her gaze before she could allow Mira's gaze to stab her heart anymore. Alora stepped down from the ledge, out of sight of Mira and other foes. Mira stared at the empty space for a moment longer in wake of Alora's departure. She hoped for a moment that she would return. When Alora never did, she turned back to her group of friends and laughed at whatever was said.

Alora left her room that she shared with her Gorgan roommate, Manwol. Manwol was only ever in their room to sleep, otherwise, she constantly avoided Alora. She tried to change rooms at the beginning of the semester when Alora moved in. Clearly, she failed, and Alora basically got their room to herself.

Alora jumped down the steps, allowing her chunky boots to sound big threatening thumps. Spreading a little terror around wouldn't hurt.

Whispers were shared as Alora Thorpe walked, and not in a good way anymore. Words such as murderer and psycho spread in her presence. She pushed them aside.

Alora stopped at the statue of Edgar Allen Poe that loomed over Nevermore. Alora stared into his stony eyes and wondered if he was ever misunderstood in this school or if he ruled it like Bianca Barclay. As she pondered her thoughts, a butterfly landed on her shoulder. One that was bright blue, practically neon, with iridescent shimmer beneath its wings. Alora had named it Cheshire.

Alora looked at her shoulder where Cheshire looked up at her. "Don't look at me like that." She told it. "My time for making friends is over."

Cheshire just kept staring. Alora craned her head as if she was speaking to her mother. "You can't say I didn't try."