4 - TEENAGE TEARAWAYS

WARGAMES
CHAPTER FOUR

ALORA HAS SEEN MANY MONSTERS

ALORA HAS SEEN MANY MONSTERS. She was familiar with the one hiding under her bed and whispering in the winds. She saw monsters, she made monsters, she was a monster. But what she had seen last night was unlike anything she had ever seen before. This was real. Of course, it could of been her though. Maybe history was repeating itself. Maybe she was just as crazy as every one thought she was. It wasn't completely unfathomable to think that she could've conjured the beast from the depths of her nightmares. But as of late, she hadn't conjured anything but a mere butterfly. Alora hoped it was real. At least if it was real she could kill it. 

After the tragedy of Rowan's death, Wednesday reported the incident to the police. Alora was profusely against it as her history with the police has been less than pleasant. Sheriff Galpin would likely have her arrested for Saylor's death if he had the evidence he needed. He's still furious that she got of scot-free like half of the Nevermore population. It was the only time her father ever got involved and he only made an appearance long enough to tell her how disappointed he was. It was actually Xavier that bailed her out and pretended to be her alibi. To this day he still doesn't know why he helped her and he's still not sure if he should've. 

Wednesday and Alora waited outside the Nevermore entrance, waiting for Sheriff Galpin to return with news. The girl two girls hadn't spoken since the incident and hadn't got their stories straight. Alora was sure they would lie through their teeth the moment they were questioned. Sheriff Galpin parked in front of the school and Wednesday perked up. Alora couldn't care less about the Sheriff or what happened to Rowan. Wednesday, however, was adamantly curious. While Wednesday waited at the foot of the entrance, Alora leaned against it with her arms crossed and one foot pressed against the doorway. Principal Weems stood with them to greet their guest. 

"We couldn't find anything." The sheriff reported to the petite girl. Principal Weems ushered him inside so they could talk further. Wednesday matched his pace while Alora lingered in the back with Weems.

"How could you miss a dead body?" 

"'Cause it wasn't there." The Sheriff told Wednesday as they walked side by side. "No footprints, no blood, no sign of struggle. Nothing, nada. My search party looked all night."

"Well, your search party must have left their seeing-eye dogs at home. I saw that monster kill Rowan right in front of me. Alora was a witness that has to count for something."

Sheriff Galpin cast a glance towards the girl. "Alora's word doesn't usually count for anything."

"Thank you, Sheriff." Alora said sarcastically.

The Sheriff turned to her. "Did you get a good look at this monster thing?"

"It didn't stick around for a chat."

"Like the last one?" Fury pricked her skin but Alora remained calm despite the burning gaze she held with the police officer. "Maybe it was one of your classmates."