-2-

"Yes, Sir. Everything is fine, Sir. Nothing is stolen from the bookstore. Yes, we do have customers today. They did buy some books." I say to my boss through the phone. He calls just to check on me. But he sounds pretty worried even though I have been working for him more than a few years. I have watched him, observed him on how to run the business, so, I know that I am capable to do well too. "Don't worry about me, Sir. Mr. Kang is looking out for me as well. Just enjoy your vacation with your family." I reassure the man, hoping that it is convincing enough for him. "Okay, Sir. Good bye."

At last, he finally cuts the call. I sigh in relief and get back to my work, jotting down the last sale of today in the ledger. I count the cash money including what are stated on the receipts, and compare the amount to the ledger book, just to be sure that everything is the same. Once I am satisfied, I put the receipts for today in that ledger and place it back inside the drawer of my boss' desk in the tiny office at the back of the bookstore, while the money is kept safely inside the safety box, hidden behind a large picture of my boss and his family. That's how much he put his trust in me, by giving the password to that safety box, and for that matter only, I promise to myself, I will never ever break his trust.

I am exhausted even though there isn't much work to do in that bookstore. However, attending customers sometimes can be mentally challenging especially if it involves with those who are asking too much and have demanded too many things to look at, but only to leave without buying a single thing. Fortunately, I've only met a few customers with that kind of attitude, and hopefully it will stay the same until my boss is back from his vacation.

After I have checked out everything in the bookstore for the last time, I grab my sling bag, turn off the lights and step out from that book store with the key jingling in my hand.

"Hey, Jenny..." A familiar voice greets me while my hands are busy locking the door to that bookstore.

"Hey, Daniel..." I greet back and turn to face him. He is Mr. Kang's son, who is also my ex-boyfriend, and the best b-boy dancer in town. "What are you doing here?" I ask the boy I've dated a few years ago. We are still good friends even after the break up, because it's a promise we've made before we started dating, that if we wouldn't be together, we should continue as friends, no matter what happens.

"Dad sent me to give you this. Your dinner." He smiles cutely at me, and points his lips to the flower printed container in his hands.

"Where is he?" I reluctantly take the container from Daniel's hand.

"Home." He replies briefly.

"He shouldn't have done this. I can prepare my own dinner." I utter faintly.

"Well, you know how he is. He still wants you as his daughter in law. Perhaps you can grant his wish by getting back with me again." He says while looking the other way shyly.

I sigh and look at Daniel. "We've tried, Daniel. And we can't be together. We don't have that spark." To be honest, I love Mr. Kang too. He is the father I have never had. I am an orphan. So, Mr. Kang is the person I always look up to when I am struggling with life. Too bad, Daniel and me, can never be together, or Mr. Kang will definitely be the happiest father in the world.

"Maybe we don't try hard enough. Why don't we give it another chance?" He suggests to me.

 Why don't we give it another chance?" He suggests to me

"No. I don't want to. It will still be the same. Maybe because, I can never leave the friend zone when it comes to you." I confess. It's the truth. I love being with him, but not romantically. That is something I can't do. It feels so weird.

"But I can't forget about you, Jenny. You're different from other girls I've met. You are a limited edition girl." He retorts, raking my hair gently.

"Me, limited edition?" I laugh hearthily. "Stop joking, Daniel."

"But you are the limited edition girl. The kind of girl that we boys rarely meet. The kind of girl that any parents will love to have as their daughter in law. You are what we call perfect."

I laugh louder. "Oh gosh! You make me want to vomit. I am no better than any other girls around here, Daniel. You probably haven't found the right one yet."

"Maybe....But I'm not lying about what I said. Anyone who will have you, is the most luckiest person in the universe." Daniel says and sneaks his hand around my shoulders. "Come...Let me walk you home."

"Thanks...But no thanks." I push his hand off of my shoulders. "Your home is that way, Daniel. And mine is this way. I know you are trying to show off your gentleman side by sending me home, but it's okay. I'm not worth it. Besides I am a big girl. I can go home by myself."

"But, this is what I want to do. Even as a friend."

"I know. But it's getting dark. What if you get kidnapped by crazy fans later, on your way back after you have sent me home? I'm definitely going to be the main suspect because I was the last person you've met."

"That's absurd! It's always the girls who got kidnapped, not the boys." He says adamantly.

"That's what I thought too, until today." I say as I am reminded by the morning incident.

"What do you mean until today? What happened today?" He asks curiously.

"Well, do you know anyone name Park Solomon?"

"Park Solomon." He frowns and I can see creases on his forehead, a sign that he is thinking about something. "Just one person. The actor in that netflix drama series."

"Hmm....so he is telling the truth."

"The truth? What are you talking about? Did I miss something?"

I beam and shake my head. "Just go home, Daniel." I refuse to answer his question, because I don't think I will be seeing Park Solomon anymore.

"What happened today, Jenny?" He demands for an answer.

"Nothing, I swear." I say and raise my hand, doing the scout honor gesture.

"Hmm...."

"Believe me, Daniel. Nothing happened."

"Okay, I believe you." He retorts even though it is obvious he is doubting me.

"Good, now can you please turn around and leave. Go home, Daniel." I shove him to move forward to the road where it will lead him back to his house.

"Are you sure, you don't want me to walk you home?"

"Good bye, Daniel." I wave and start to walk in the opposite direction.

"Jenny! Call me or text me once you're home!" He shouts.

"Why?!" I shout back, as I turn around and walk backward.

"So I know you have arrived safely at your apartment!"

"Okay! And please thank your dad on my behalf!" I raise the container in one hand while the other hand is waving to him again, before I turn back around and walk leisurely to my home, to the tiny apartment that is located a few blocks from the bookstore.