-4-

Once I am inside my tiny apartment, I throw my sling bag on the dining table and slump myself on the bed. Then pull the duvet to cover myself, so, it can keep me warm in this cold weather. Apparently, the electricity won't be back until the next morning. When I told my boss the news, he commanded me to just go home, since the cash register couldn't be operated anyway. And, that's what I did. Thanks to the weather, I am home now, in my tiny apartment that I have bought with my saving.

Lucky for me, the previous owner only asked me for the deposit money that he already paid for the apartment

Lucky for me, the previous owner only asked me for the deposit money that he already paid for the apartment. From there, I will continue paying off the mortgage, which I truly don't mind, because the amount is still quite affordable for someone who works in a bookstore. I know people will question me, how does the salary of a helper in a bookstore can afford to buy an apartment. Well, that's the advantage of living in a small community, and in a secluded area that hasn't been injected with too much mordenisation. Not just apartments, houses are not as pricey as everyone thinks.

I beam and observe the entire apartment gratefully. It may be small or tiny, but I'm glad, I still have a roof over my head. This is my sanctuary, my place to retreat after work, and probably a place that I will live alone forever. Just because I don't even know whether I will find the right person who will love and cherish me until death do us part.

Of course there is Daniel who offers himself to be the one for me, but I don't have any romantic feelings over him. Even after him, there's no one else has stumbled into my life, accidentally or coincidentally, except for Park Solomon.

Thinking of him, I wonder how he is right now, after hearing my rejection. Did he take it well? He looked like his world was about to collapse when I kicked him out of the bookstore. I don't even know why I did that. Any person will definitely accept the invitation. Firstly, because he is an actor, and secondly, he was offering a free meal by going out with him. People may think I'm stupid. But I don't want to get entangled with people who I don't really know. Yeah, I am his saviour, but that's it. I don't want more and I don't want my life to get more complicated because of his connection with Daniel.

I let out a heavy sigh and stare at the ceiling absentmindedly. My mind is blank, my body is unmoved while absorbing the quietness that surrounds me, until I hear a series of knocking on the door to my apartment. Hmm...who can that be? I ask myself as I get off the bed lazily, dragging my feet to the door that has been painted with white colour. I take a peep through the hole, and I am not surprised to see Daniel, standing stoically on the other side, since he is the only one who had visited my apartment before.

I immediately unlock the door and crane forward my head between the door that has been opened slightly. "Yeah? What do you want?"

"Dad told me to fetch you." Daniel announces.

"Fetch me?" I open my door wider

"Well, since the eletricity won't be coming back until tomorrow, he wants you to stay at our house tonight, so he won't be worried about you, living alone." Daniel explains. "He doesn't want you to be in the dark by yourself. An intruder may come to attack you, so..." He doesn't have to finish his sentences, because I already know the rest.

"But I won't be in dark, since I have bought a few packs of candle sticks from the convenience store earlier on my way home. And I don't think anyone will try to enter my apartment if I have locked the door properly. Besides, our neighbourhood is safe. I don't think anyone who lives in the neighbourhood, has the desire to rob me. I have nothing to give." I try to give some excuses, so I won't have to comply with Mr. Kang's command.

"But you have the most precious treasure that needs to be protected." Daniel points out.

"Really? What is that treasure? How come I know nothing about it?" I scratch my head, wondering if I have kept anything precious in my apartment.

"It's you, Jenny. You are the treasure." Daniel pats my head.

"Me? I'm not that precious."

"That's what you think." Daniel interjects. "But to us, you are precious. So, pack some clothes and let's go to my house before my dad will personally come here to persuade you himself. And you do know how persuasive he is. He won't stop until you have agreed to come with him."

I frown and pout a little. "I'm too lazy to walk."

"You don't have to. I'll drive you there. Since it's still drizzling, dad has forced me to take his car."

"Will your lemon be there too?" I ask, wondering if Park Solomon is still staying over at his house.

Daniel grimaces. "Yeah...he is still there for a few more nights. He needs a break from work. That's why he is there. But why do you ask?"

"Nothing. Just wondering." I gesture Daniel to step inside then close that white door. "Just wait here while I pack my clothes." I point to the stool in the dining area.

"It's been a while since the last time I've been here. Your apartment look nice. Did you repaint and decorate this place yourself?"

"I did." I reply proudly. I even installed the kitchen cabinet myself.

"Maybe I can hire you to do the same to my room too." Daniel says casually.

"The one in your dad's house?"

"Not that one, but the bedroom in my own apartment in Seoul." Daniel retorts.

"You've bought an apartment?"

"It's supposed to be our apartment." Daniel moves and sits on the bed without my consent. Then, pulls me to sit on his lap.

"Daniel, stop." I put my palms on his chest. "No, Daniel. We are not together anymore."

"I'm not over you, Jenny. I've tried, but...I still can't move on from you."

"That's not my problem, is it?" I remark sternly.

"True....but...I need a closure. Just to be assured, that you will never be mine again."

"Closure? Didn't we do that already?" I scowl.

Daniel sighs and leans his head on my right shoulder. "I just don't want to let you go. I don't want to give you to him."

"Him? Who is him? Are you selling me off to someone?" I pipe out worriedly.

"If you think, I'm involved in human trafficking, you're wrong, Jenny." Daniel shakes his head and pulls me closer.

"Then?" I stare at the top of Daniel's head. "Did your father set me up in an arranged marriage?"

"If he is that kind of a person, I have already asked him to marry you off to me." Daniel lifts his head and looks into my eyes.

"So, who is this him you are referring to?"

"Lomon." Daniel replies. "He wants you, Jenny. He wants to court you. But I don't want to let him have you."