Chapter Forty: The Cave of the Dragon (part two)

* * *

I ran into the huge mouth of the cave. The floor was smooth, and sloped steeply down as the walls narrowed. The stone glowed yellow and red through the Dragon's mist, lighting my way to a narrow throat-like tunnel that suddenly opened back out into a huge cavern. Enormous stalactites hung from the high roof, equally great stalagmites grew from the floor. The cavern was filled with the sticky steam, which erupted from glowing, violently bubbling pools in the floor. The place was hot, and smelled of oils and pure magic. In the very centre of the cavern, at the deepest part of the bowl and at the edge of the largest pool, was Neave, with Christian by her side. She was far from her usual elegant self: bare-armed, hair frizzy from the steam, sweating hard. Before her, stood up in the churning liquid, was the black shaft of the Spear of Longius. She was casting a spell on the spear, the signs of great strain on her face.

I ran on down the wet, slippery stone towards my sister and nephew. 'They're c-c-c-c-coming,' I shouted. 'M-M-M-Merlin and K-K-King Arthur. They're here.'

Neave didn't react, but Christian's ear's pricked at the sound of my voice. His curly mop of hair moved, and then I saw a broad, unaffected grin on his face.

'M'Uncle!' he said in delight. He pushed himself clumsily to his feet, and toddled to me as I reached the ridge of the pool. I picked him up. His mother's teeth were gritted as she stared at the spear, moving her hands in a series of complex gestures. It was only now that I was very close that I could see five shadowy figures, each of whom seemed to occupy the same space as Neave, each casting the same spell with approximately the same motions. There was a dark woman in nothing but a few animal skins, her face covered in strange drawings; another woman in white furs. The great black form of King Hermaunce, Epicene's father, towered over them.

'N-N-Neave!' I repeated. 'M-M-Merlin's come for the spear.'

Her eyes flicked from the spear to me and back. 'Too soon,' she said through her clenched teeth.

'lady Neave! My love!' Merlin stood at the entrance to the cavern.

At the sound of his voice she let her hands fall to her side, and the others in her place did the same. She looked up at him.

'The time has come, my friends,' Neave said. One-by-one the shadowy figures signaled their understanding and disappeared. I think king Hermaunce nodded at me before he left. Neave reached forward and plucked the spear from the bubbling pool. I felt new textures in the magic of the spear that I did not recognise. It had elements of the power Merlin had given to it, but the overwhelming texture was more the smooth, thick comfort of one of Avalon's heartstrings.

'It's too soon,' she said, running her hands along the spear. 'We're not finished.'

Arthur tripped into the cavern, Excalibur glowing green in his hand. Merlin put his hand on the king's chest, telling him to stay where he was. The sorcerer started down the same path I had followed.

Neave watched Merlin as he strode through the stalagmites and bubbling pools. 'Brother,' she said with determination, 'I have never given you any reason to love me, but I know you love my son. I trust you to keep him safe.'

'Of c-c-c-c-course.'

She reached for her son. His little hand toyed with her hair. She closed her eyes and planted a long, lingering kiss on Christian's – on Galahad's – head. She was entirely filled by her love for him.

There was a tear in her eye when she looked back up at me. A moment of understanding passed between us, brother and sister – perhaps sympathy too. 'Now go,' she said. 'Run. I don't know if this will work.' She walked round the edge of the large pool, her eyes fixed on Merlin. She twirled the spear round her body like an expert spearmaiden.