005. the girls' dorms

ODETTE | MOETTI

                                ODETTE | MOETTI

I WAS COMPLETELY out of my depth.

I looked at my cousin for our next step — whether that was running away or facing the two head on — when she sighed and steeled her expression and I knew retreating wasn't one of her options. Even with the glimmer of recognition swimming in her browns, I didn't want her to feel forced to interact with the guys on the other side of the door.

I placed a hand on her elbow. "Les—"

She gave me a small smile that alleviated my worries somewhat. "It's okay, I know him."

Him? One or both of them?

She pushed open the door and I took her word for it. I'd make sure to keep a watchful eye out for anything the unfolding interaction would reveal.

"I knew it was you D."

D?

Locs worse a smile on his face that looked similar to the one he'd worn when ascending the staircase earlier.

Notably, Lesedi wore a small smile herself while she crossed her arms. "I don't know if I should be concerned that you recognise me so easily Neo."

The name triggered my memory and I looked at the boy with a more attentive gaze. Neo was the same name of the person she'd sent all those emails to.

So this was him?

"How could I forget someone like you?" His sincere tone had Lesedi looking away and I wanted to chuckle. "It's impossible."

There was clearly something between them and I had to cover my mouth to hide my smile. I'd definitely ask her afterwards for more details on who he was to her.

My wandering gaze led me to Grey-Eyes. He was leaned against one of the fridges and seemed content with his position despite nearly being taller than it.

Even with his baggy fit, it was clear he had a strong frame that came from hours of dedication in the gym. Black, baggy tech pants covered his bottom half and went with his black and white Jordans. A dark fleece jacket covered his top half, unzipped to his collarbone. The sleeves were rolled up to his elbows and emphasised his defined biceps and forearms.

A lone beaded bracelet sat beside the watch on his left wrist. The name for the brand currently eluded me, but I knew it cost up in the ten thousands; Uncle Mykel wore their watches often. Silver rings encircled his fingers and contrasted his tan skin tone.

He hadn't said anything yet but neither had I. The familiarity Lesedi had seemed limited to Neo so I didn't blame him. Still, I couldn't help but wonder if he was shy like me as Lesedi and Neo caught up but we stayed quiet.

The thought dismissed itself when his liquid-silvers caught mine and I fought against the urge to break eye-contact. Despite my thudding heart, I tried to appear friendly by giving him a small smile and wave. His blank expression didn't shift and I felt the curve to my lips shrink.