002. cockney-sounding dopes

KAEDE | HAYASHI

                                KAEDE | HAYASHI

ANXIETY WAS LIKE an opponent on the court who knew all your weakspots even you yourself weren't aware of.

Who took advantage of the holes in your mental defence and went on the offensive until the cracks were were too gaping for you to ignore. Who over time wore you down and only seemed to leave you with a chance to breathe when you benched yourself out of the game and didn't participate any further.

Anxiety was something I couldn't even hope to win against.

A sigh left my lips at the thought as I leaned against the wall opposite the entrance of the Sixth Form's basketball court / assembly spot. The strategic position I'd chosen was also opposite the hubbub around the tables on either side of the entrance.

The envelopes laid out in alphabetical order held timetables, lanyards and dorm fobs inside— so explained the seemingly perpetual mob around then. A mob I'd made sure to avoid at all cost, even though it meant I had to come in early to grab mine and Neo's envelopes.

The online magazine article I was mindlessly skimming didn't help the knots my stomach was in. In fact it made them grow tighter before I stowed my phone away.

Even though the contents were positive, a cold feeling slithered down my spine while reading it. I felt more than uncomfortable seeing my name in a published article full stop. The idea of googling myself in an attempt of distraction was probably the worst I'd had in a while— certainly when it just reminded me of Reyes.

My fingers tapped on the inside of my folded arms for a little while before I glanced at the time on my A. Lange & Söhne watch. I'd gotten it for my birthday last year, but even the happy memory couldn't stifle my thoughts.

I shouldn't have trusted Neo when he said he'd come on time.

My eyes trailed back over to the rest of my year group. As most students had been apart of St Everfields from secondary school, it wasn't uncommon that greetings and conversations were bouncing off the walls. I ignored the tightness in my chest and glanced at my watch again.

You owe me so bad.

"Congrats on being made captain, Captain."

I wasn't surprised at the wide smile on Rohan's face when I looked up from my wrist. My eyes met a smile-lined face underneath dark, unruly strands. His brown skin was clear and held a beauty mark by one of his thick brows. His strong jaw complimented his pierced bumped nose that had an amber jewel on it.

I hadn't yet grown into the title; it fit like a poorly hemmed suit. I doubted Rohan hadn't noticed with how I'd turned down any type of party to celebrate it. It was probably why he'd referred to me using it only in the first place.