Prologue

Emmeline and Jeff

I have yet to take a breath today. 

My friend Collette is bringing her baby girl home and we have planned a welcome home party for them. Of course, it doesn't help that I have a five year old, two year old and a twenty seven year old that constantly want my attention. The twenty seven year old is my husband if you have not guessed it yet.

"Honey, will you please make sure that his diaper is changed, maybe he will stop being so fussy." I ask my husband Jeff to hold my youngest, Joshua, so I can continue setting up the balloons and other decorations.

"I'm on it sweetheart." He replies with a kiss to my cheek and disappears down the passage of Collette and Edgar's home.

Twenty minutes later, I fix the last decoration as I receive a text message from Edgar that they are leaving the hospital and heading home. 

"They will be here in ten minutes!" I yell out to everyone that is scattered around the home.

I'm so excited. Collette and I have been best friends since she transferred to Bayridge High School in grade 11. We met through our then boyfriends, Edgar and Jeff, who were best friends in high school.

It was like at first sight for Collette and Edgar. He was so taken with her he asked me to befriend her so I can put in a good word for him. I soon found out that was no hardship for me at all, because Collette was the sweetest and coolest girl I had yet to meet. Which is why it was a quick decision for me to dub her my best friend shortly after meeting. 

Due to her newly acquired best friend status, it was then easier for Edgar to beg for a date. From then onwards, the four of us were always out together on double dates and became inseparable.

We hear a car coming up the driveway and it's chaotic as everyone quickly gets into position. 

I cannot wait to meet my honourary niece and snuggle her. Collette and I always wished to have our babies grow up together and it is now finally becoming a reality.

"Surprise!" everyone yells as soon as they enter the door.

"Oh my gosh!" Collette exclaims. 

"You guys, this is beautiful. I didn't even think you would come today." Tears start rolling down her cheeks.

"You bet your behind we would come. I would never pass up a chance to see this little beauty. Give me, give me." I take little miss Abigail from her daddy and snuggle her to my chest.

"Hello darling girl. You are so beautiful, aren't you? Don't worry, Aunty Emmeline will always be there to deal with those heart-stealing boys, okay?"

Just then I feel something pulling on my leg. When I look down, I see that it is my son Joshua. 

"Hey bud, you want to say hi to the baby?" I say to him.

"Mama babeee, Joshy hug babeee Mama."

I settle myself on the carpeted floor and bring Joshua closer to me. He is only two years old himself, so I need to be careful with him holding Abigail. "This is Abigail, say hi Joshua."

"Hi Abby. Abby for Joshy." He claps his hands. Uhm... who is going to break it to my son that Abby is not his?

I settle little Abby, as Joshua has named her, on Joshua's lap on the floor and hold both of them. Once Abby is on his lap, he babbles in baby talk to her, and it is the cutest thing ever. I signal for my husband to take a picture.

"Okay, now let's hand Abby back to her Mama." I say to the two babies that are getting acquainted on the floor. 

As soon as I pick Abigail up from Joshua's lap she starts fussing and I can tell those tears are very near. I am indeed, correct, and she lets out a little wail. I settle her back on Joshua's lap and she quiets down. 

I do this a few more times until I see that Abby doesn't want to be far from Joshua. As the day continues, we make sure that they are not far from each other as Abby is not a happy camper when that happens.