Shadow

Peter's 14th birthday was approaching, and Meredith became aware of how much his little boy was growing taller than ever before. The boy had grown taller than his friend, who had now even surpassed him in height, Peter had tended to be taller than him until then despite the fact that he was the younger of the two. His face had changed from being so curvaceously feminine and both of them had become closer to what humans called "young adolescents" even though she didn't seem to see them suffering from anything at all for more than two years. However, her worries outweighed anything related to what hormones could generate in the boys.

The octopus, at dawn, sent for Peter to make him an unusual proposal as a gift.

- Peter, are you all right? - James asked, watching him from across the breakfast table as he placed some needles on the wooden mannequin and fluffy fabric.

Peter regained his concentration, and their eyes met in the distance.

- Y-yeah it's just... it's been a long time since we've played mommy and daddy since Ruffian passed away-

- That's the thing about raccoons Pan, what's adorable about them is relative to how little they live.

- ...And you always use such complicated words.

- What do you mean?" asked the red-haired man, this time focusing all his attention on his friend. Who was looking at him seriously and nostalgically from the other side of the room. - We don't play that game because we're not kids anymore, Peter.

- That's exactly what I mean -

This time James stopped his idle hobby and looked at Peter.

- Would you be more specific?

Peter cocked his head to one side and after shaking out his hair proceeded to calmly tell his friend what his mother had told him that morning.

- Immortality? - James asked incredulously.

- Yeah, isn't that great! - exclaimed Peter.

- Those things aren't free -

- What do you mean?

- As good as Meredith is, she's still a witch. Witchcraft is magic, and magic has a price. For everything.

- Besides, imagine it, you'll have all the time in the world to roam the earth and explore the never-never land, you'll be a famous designer when the right time comes, and you'll catalogue all the creatures that exist in your drawings, there'll be nothing left out of your knowledge! You'll be the smartest kid ever!

James still seemed troubled at such an abysmal and serious idea because of what being immortal entailed. So Peter gave one last, even more forceful motivation.

- Besides... Meredith said that... if we grow too big, the medicine won't be enough to suppress the nightmares.

At that moment his friend realized the real gravity of the matter. The balance between refusal and seder was balanced.

- If that happens...

They both fell silent. Simultaneously remembering the episode of the bear they had lived through four years ago.

- So, it would be nothing but benefits, we would almost have no other choice if...

- Peter, do you understand what being immortal implies? Everything you know will change. Everyone you know will one day die in front of you.

- I wouldn't mind if you were with me too..." Forcing his gaze to cross with James', "And you?

His friend was at a loss for words. It was true that he couldn't imagine a world without Peter. But one eternally with him was a random, abysmal leap into the void.