Ascension

The metal doors before us were the gateway to an uncertain future, a future of pain, peril, misery, and more hope than we would have otherwise

The metal doors before us were the gateway to an uncertain future, a future of pain, peril, misery, and more hope than we would have otherwise. I pressed the circular metal button on the wall next to it, and after a moment, the two doors slid apart revealing the interior of the lift. The bottom halves of the walls were solid metal, but the top halves were a steel mesh through which we could see out in to more of the factory.

We stepped in to the box, and fortunately it seemed to be stable and solid. I was expecting far less, so I cherished this reprieve from constant danger.

"Didn't expect to see one of these still working, scrag." Jolly said happily. "Wonder if we should go up or down."

"Up." I said decisively. "I believe we may be able to reach the top of the factory and make it back to ground level, perhaps we can even get a good view of the city from the roof, which would help in determining our location."

"Sounds like as good a plan as any." Jolly said. "The roof it is."

I looked around for a panel, finding one conveniently placed just to the right side of the door. I knew not, out of the many numbers that were shown, which floor we were on, but I guessed we were on the first. It mattered not. I scoured the panel for one that said 'Roof' and pressed it.

Nothing happened. Not the pulling of chains, not the rumble of ascent, not even one system seemed to be working. I tried once more, still to no avail. Even the button that appeared to go to the floor below that seemed to be out of order. I tried the one below that, but it, too, did not work.

"Do you think, perhaps, the lift is simply... out of order?" I asked Jolly. "I know little about how they work, save for the fact that they operate based on a complicated pulley system."

"It's not the pulleys, scrag, otherwise we'd be fallin' to our untimely deaths." Jolly replied. "Try another floor, maybe you can't access some as of right now."

I tried again, but it did not work.

"Um, scrag," Jolly said. "I'll be back in a bit. Gotta relieve myself."

"I understand that." I said. "Do not tarry, there may be a way out of this situation, yet."

"Yeah, I'll be close by." Jolly said, walking away. "See you in a-"

I could only comprehend enough of what was happening to cry out in terror. Suddenly, and without warning, the lift shot skyward at blinding speed, pinning me inexorably to the floor. I could not think, I could not breathe, only the deafening roar of wind as it blasted past my ears was what filled my senses. Then it stopped.

I rested on the floor for what seemed like eternity, the view of the metal roof of the lift being the only thing I could look at without being sick, for I felt as if even moving my eyes would make me vomit pugnaciously.

When my vision finally ceased rotating and rocking and reeling around like an untamed horse, I finally took upon the courage to sit up.

I looked through the open doors to see the roof of the building, the muted blue skies of the corrupt city swirling overhead, as if a storm was brewing. Thoughts shifted and danced through my brain, ones of uncertainty, fear, and the simple idea that Jolly may be in trouble. I stood, my legs wobbly and my vision still shaking, and braced myself against the side of the elevator. I reached out and pressed the button that appeared to go to the first floor, but as the more pessimistic side of me had secretly predicted, it would not work. The reason why was entirely unclear. It seemed far too... unfortunate a situation for it not to be planned. A true accident would have been complete failure, not so well-timed.

I muttered a couple of well-earned curses under my breath and steeled myself. I needed to move. I stepped out on to the roof, one that was lain with mossy, but otherwise beautiful stone tile. Other than that it was barren, but the real beauty of it lay in the view.

The city I had known for a while before that fateful night with the wizard, and it still retained that sort of beauty that was at once a tribute to the power of man to take control of his destiny, and the understanding that man was still broken and flawed. The Amity Spire, once great, still stood guard quietly over the city, not a soul to be seen looking out from or walking along its great balconies that surrounded it in a circular fashion. The Margoth Manor, too, once one of the city's wonders, now seemed completely desolate, save for a few bumpers that appeared to be stumbling around the place.

The odd thing was that it was beautiful. It seemed a little dulled, a little hazy, but very easy on the eyes. The stone and metalwork still held up, though overgrown, and birds still flew overhead as if nothing had changed. It was as if nature had taken over some of the world again, driving back humankind's progress. The more I thought about it, the more I remembered Margo. Oh, how I wished she could have seen this view, how I wish we could have a family here, in this strange land. How I wish I could hold her just once, to know, for sure, that she was well. She was strong, courageous, and she would be the mother of warriors, just like her namesake.

I looked around the rooftop for a way back in, any sort of door, trapdoor, anything at all, until I spotted a set of stone stairs going from the roof down the side of the building.

I tested them at first, and, finding them to be solid, I made my way down the steps toward the next floor down. I found myself on a balcony with a metal door to my left. I tried it, and it opened without any trouble to speak of.

I found myself in a lavish, if dark and dusty, office. Red carpeting lined the floor, and in front of me was the backside of a desk and chair, and it was an oddly shaped one at that. This was clearly the office of the owner, who was clearly rich. I walked forward, examining the chair, I found that it was not the chair that was oddly shaped, it was merely the dead, mutilated body of a man lying limp in it that was confusing me.

Again, my meal threatened to come back up.