Return

As we reached the wall that separated light from darkness, good from evil, I had already spied a young man and his mother looking over at the city

"Hey, Hark, Thelma, scrag's back!" Jolly shouted.

"Theris?" Hark shouted back from atop the wall. "Come on in, guys, we've been waiting for you!"

It felt as if we had been behind those walls for eternity, and when I stepped through their gates once again to be greeted by the people living their lives as normal, just walking around, just living, it gave me the sense of returning home, a feeling I had missed very much.

We were soon greeted by both Thelma and Hark, Thelma of which was crying.

"Ye crazy kids, ye came back after all." She said, embracing the both of us. I would have returned the gesture fully if I had not been busy holding my hand over my stab wound, a wound that seemed a lot less terrible now that I was among friends.

I was taken to a doctor, one that looked partially put off by the public nudity and even more put off by the deep wound.

"Well," she began. "You'll make it, but it's pretty bad. You say you got this how?"

"Killing a warden." I replied.

"He's a damn good hero." Jolly chimed in proudly.

"You are too kind, friend." I said.

"Save the niceties for later." The doctor said, shaking her head knowingly. "You're gonna need plenty of rest and recuperation for the next few days at least. A week just to be safe, and make sure to keep that patch over the wound, it's soaked with a type of salve that's saved more lives than most heroes."

"Thank you, healer." I replied. "I will do my very best to relax and keep myself clean."

"Might want some clothes, too, marked one." She suggested. "Just a thought."

After getting me quite literally patched up, we made our ways back to the Everything Emporium just as it was turning dusk. I dared not ask for how long we were out there, at the mercy of Grimoire, but that could wait, certainly until after a hot meal, hot bath, and a good, long period of rest.

Something that I was not ready for were the celebrations. Apparently, one was considered quite the hero should they slay a warden. My rugged crew had brought me to the counter of the Everything Emporium after I had been supplied with appropriate clothing, and I subsequently found myself in front of Reggie, its shopkeeper.

"Hello, Thelma." He said in an irritated tone. "And what brings you here?"

"Theris, hold out yer right arm." Thelma said. I did so, and both Reggie and I were equally shocked at what was on my arm.

The symbol that had been inlaid in to my hand was... different now. From the pointed tip of the V shape now traveled a line down the inside of my forearm, ending in a small circular shape.

"Well, well, well, Thelma. You finally did it. Well, boys and girls, it's time for celebration!"

In minutes the Everything Emporium was packed with people. It was not as if it would not have been, even without my victory over Nemenera, but I appreciated it. Ale and mead flowed like water, and the mutton, oh the mutton!

My face was covered in sweat, and my mouth in meaty grease. The tastes, the textures, the carbonation in the beverages, it was like a paradise of taste to a worn-out man like myself.

"How ya like that?" Jolly said, clapping me on the back, this is all for you, scrag!"

"What does scrag mean, anyways?" I asked.

"Fresh meat!" he replied with a hearty laugh, going off to dance, most likely with a couple of good-looking barmaids, in the center of the floor. I laughed, content in finally getting to relax a little. I saw Hark over there, too, trying to sweet-talk a woman in a frilly white-and-blue dress, albeit with a rather large knife strapped to her back.

"Ye did well out 'ere Theris." Thelma said, as she slowly nursed her own mug of ale. "Ain't many people who can do so much 's look at a warden and live. Then ye got Jolly 'n you..."

"Thank you very much, Miss Thelma." I replied. "I am quite glad I made it out, as well."

"Whyddaya seem glum, eh?" she asked, then she motioned to the dancing. "Your party. Enjoy it."

I would not say this to a kindly older woman such as Thelma, but I was in no mood to party. I felt nothing short of defiled. Coming back from the dead by some dark force, stealing the soul of what was essentially a child, and learning that my bride-to-be had been captured by a being beyond my comprehension. I had expected to meet up with her one day, fighting off a veritable horde of monsters single-handedly, or battling a warden.

Then a thought occurred to me that made me more than a little tearful, but also hopeful for the future.

I had seen her, if only for the briefest of moments, fighting back against Grimoire and the evil force that sought to corrupt her. She would never stop fighting, never stop breaking her chains.

And that's why I would love her until the end of eternity.

A change in the pace of the music, played by a small band that was stationed at the front of the room, shook me out of my train of thought. I decided that I would care not for any more of this gloom. Margo was still alive, and I would cut down every warden if it meant helping her. I would reclaim this world, and I would be with her once again.

And then, after everything, there would be peace at last.