Chapter 4: Unexpected News

She stayed in her room all day, only leaving to get something to eat because she figured skipping meals would be bad for the protoform.

It took Heatwave a few hours to reply, but he agreed to call her as soon as possible.

All there was left to do was wait, but as the minutes passed, she felt herself drowning in anxiety.

Quickshadow wasn't the type to get carried away by her emotions, but these hormones threw her off balance.

She heard somewhere that high-stress levels could potentially harm protoforms; she had to calm down.

Repositioning herself on her berth, she sat in a lotus position, servos open and facing up on her knees.

With her optics closed, she focused on breathing and nothing else. Calm and serene, her mind drifted off to a cherished memory.

She was back at her old espionage academy, sneaking around campus in the dead of night.

She was a lot younger then and surprisingly rash and very rebellious.

She roamed within shadows, exchanging laughter and hushes with a bot she once considered her best friend. Until...

She jerked her helm, choosing to focus on the first memory.

"..and the look on their faces when you pulled you're vanishing trick on them? Priceless." He laughed. "You have to teach me how you do that."

Her audials picked up pedsteps on the other side of the building they were walking by. "Shh! Someone's coming." She nudged him to hide.

A guard nearby swore he heard laughter and came to check, only to find a seemingly empty corner.

Quickshadow hid behind her friend; his dark gray paint job practically disappeared in the darkness.

Once the guard marched off, they busted out laughing, and this time, the guard knew he wasn't hearing things.

"Alright, who's there?"

The two scrambled for a way inside the building. A vent high on the wall caught their attention, and the gray mech was just tall enough to reach it and climb up.

"Ehem." she crossed her arms, looking at him expectantly.

"Right, right, sorry, uh..." he sputtered sheepishly, looking for a way to help her up.

They heard the guard's heavy pedsteps quickly approaching, and he didn't hesitate to crawl further into the vent.

Feeling betrayed, she hid in her own way, somehow evading the guard's flashlight, and found another way inside.

She opened her optics, dropped her servos, and returned to her regular breathing pattern.

It wasn't the best memory, but it aided in distracting her.

Her datapad buzzed on her nightstand, shattering the tranquil mood.

Swallowing her nerves, she reminded herself to breathe and answered the call.

"Hey." his tired optics lit up when he saw her.

"..Hey." she echoed, forcing any sign of worry off her face.

"You okay?" he asked, direct to the point as always.

"...I don't know." Her voice was soft, and she didn't bother lying; he'd nag her until he got the truth.

He waited patiently to hear her troubles, but she remained silent, trying to keep herself from fidgeting.

"Cody and Frankie dropped by. Wanna see them?" He changed the subject, hoping it would help her calm down.