Chapter 12: As Time Goes By

She smiled, pleased with her work. A present sat atop her berth, wrapped with all the care in the world, with an unopened letter addressed to Hotshot beside it. She stared at the gift a second longer, deciding it was missing something. Snapping her digits when she realized what it needed, she wandered off to a storage cabinet to find what she was looking for.

She rummaged around her belongings until she saw the gold ribbon dangling from the top shelf. In bad judgment, she forcefully pulled on it, and a bunch of dusty old books came falling. Mentally facepalming, she retrieved the ribbon, careful this time, and went to fix the mess.

She lifted each book off the ground with little thought until she got to the last one, recognizing it as the photo album she'd been keeping for the last decade.

Overcome by a strange sense of nostalgia, she carelessly left the other books on the floor and went to deposit the ribbon by the gift box.

Having adjusted the book in her servos, she opened the cover and was met with Hotshot's birth certificate—the second signature line still blank. Ignoring the pain in her chest, she moved on and flipped the page. A smile made its way onto her face at the sight of her son's tiny face.

One Month

Finally, discharged from hospital! - the caption read

She remembered that day so well. It had been one of the best and worst days of her life. She was elated that she would finally be taking her sparkling home but paranoid because Eclipse had paid her a visit and hurt Hotshot the night before.

3 Months

(Photo of Hotshot giving a wide, denta-less smile)

Smiley

She adored that little smile of his. She could be having an awful day, but seeing him beam with his big optics staring up at her would make her forget all her troubles, even if it was only for a brief moment.

4 Months

(Hotshot in his ATV alt mode.)

First Transformation

His vehicle mode surprised her. With how much Hotshot resembled his Sire, she was expecting him to have one of Heatwave's many alt modes, be it a firetruck or some kind of boat, not a sports vehicle like herself.

Though, she was excited that he had inherited something else from her.

5 Months

(Hotshot gnawing on a cube)

He loves his cube

She stifled a laugh. She could never get him to let go of that cube.

6 Months

(Hotshot, looking around the daycare center, a mix of nerves and curiosity on his small face.)