0.1 THE BIRTH OF IVAR THE BONELESS

CHAPTER ZERO POINT ONE (Previously From Book 3, Chapter 31)

THE BIRTH OF IVAR THE BONELESS (Circa 896 AD)

"Erik came to me in a dream and he said, 'Ivar the Boneless

is Prince Igor of Kiev', so I researched Ivar the Boneless. It was said in

the Sagas that he had no bones in his legs. Then I researched Prince

Igor of Kiev, hoping to find a similar nickname, but I could find none.

'Show me,' I pleaded with Erik. 'Show me.' He came to me in a

dream again and repeated 'Ivar the Boneless IS Prince Igor of Kiev.'

So I researched further and read of Emperor John Tzimiskes telling Ivar's

son Svein what had happened to his father: 'on his campaign against the

Germans, he was captured by them, tied to tree trunks, and torn in two.'

But Prince Erik said, 'Prince Igor of Kiev IS Ivar the Boneless.' Perhaps

he did not die from the trap."

Comment on: 'The History of Leo 'the Deacon' as read by B H Seibert

(896 AD) King Odd had been spotted returning from the north in his longship, Fair Faxi, so a great crowd of Hraes' people were on the quays of Kiev to greet him. A harbourmaster had brought the message to Prince Erik in his palace and soon he would explain to Oddi that over the winter he had married the mother of the twelve berserker brothers that Oddi had killed, and that they were now trying to have a baby together even though it was a little late in life for children.

"I'll have to leave for Gardariki immediately," Oddi stated quite emphatically. "It is her family duty to avenge the deaths of her sons, not to mention her father, King Frodi!"

"Princess Eyfura has assured me she has no intention of seeking vengeance," Erik repeated, as Oddi stepped down from the highseat he was sharing with his father and searched the hall for spies, checking behind draperies and statues. He could find no others in the hall, so he rejoined his father on the second highseat.

"You are in love," Oddi said, "and blinded by it. Princess Eyfura is a royal and will not give up her right to vengeance. That is not how royal bloods operate. They hold all the rights and give up none. They not only support slavery, they depend on it. A free man wouldn't wear a king's yoke if he did not have a slave wearing his own yoke first. Where there are royals, there are slaves."

"You are now a royal, yourself, King Odd, and Princess Eyfura is not like that. She is the spitting image of her mother, and Alfhild was not like that, not vengeance minded."

"I saw vengeance in the havoc her nails wreaked upon Frodi's face as he perpetrated his foul deed. How could I have seen that? I have always felt connected with Queen Alfhild somehow...I don't understand it, but I do understand I cannot stay here!" Oddi again searched about the hall, prodded the tapestries, for a spy.

"There is no one here, son."

Oddi had arrived late evening in Kiev and Erik had sent everyone away from the hall of his palace. Only preparers of food and purveyors of wines entered and left the hall and none were presently in the chamber. "I told all to leave us alone. I wanted to be the first to tell you of my troth with Eyfura. She is the love of my life. She is Alfhild and Gunwar as one. I am afraid I have failed you again. I cleared this with Eyfura, ensuring that she bid you no ill will, but I should have cleared it with you as well. For that neglect I am sorry."