21.0 THE KING OF LIERE

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

THE KING OF LIERE (Circa 937 AD)

"When we are born, we cry that we are come to this great stage of fools."

William Shakespeare, King Lear

King Lear and the Fool by Dyce 1861

(937 AD)  When King Ivar had completed his rounds, settling up with every Hraes' Trading Company station and store between Kiev and Dub-Lin, he landed near Liere and was met by his wife, Queen Blaeja, and his son, Prince Gorm. They rode together in a royal carriage from the harbour town to King Frodi's fortress. "Again, I'm sorry for your grandmother's passing," Ivar started. "She ran out of living long before she ran out of life. Your mother and your uncle send their best."

"You stopped in York?" Blaeja asked. "Isn't it in Saxon hands now? Wasn't it dangerous?

"King Athelstan and the Saxons have returned to Wessex. York is in the hands of the local Anglish princes. They were quite hospitable and your mother's Hraes' station in York Castle made record profits this year. The Saxon royals may not want Vikings in York, but they do want the Hraes' silks and spices and Kha Vayar in York Castle."

"I tried some Khazar Vayar," Prince Gorm said. "I didn't really like it much."

"It's an acquired taste, son," King Ivar replied, then he whispered, "I don't like it that much myself either, but don't tell the Saxons."

"We've had no luck with a daughter," Blaeja said.

"Have you been taking the medicine I gave you?"

"Yes. Every day as you instructed."

"It is every day," Ivar said, "as your grandmother, Princess Blaeja Senior, had instructed me. And we must try again, as she also instructed."

Ivar made love to Blaeja all night long and with a gentle hand that he had previously reserved for his love in Kiev. "You are leaving me," Blaeja said in bed the next morning. "You were kind to me. You have never been kind."

"I am following your grandmother's full prescription. The medicine and love."

"You weren't loving when you came to Liere last spring with news of her death."

"I thought the medicine would be enough. Apparently it was not. If you prefer it rough, I can do that as well."

"I like the new you," she said, as she mounted him.

The next day, Ivar began preparations for visiting the Hraes' stations in Denmark. "Would you like to come with me to Hedeby?" he asked his son.

"Can I buy something for mother while we are there?"