Two

"𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘛𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘴𝘧𝘦𝘳"
[𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘪 𝘸𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘶𝘱 𝘰𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘰𝘸𝘯]

My eyes were closed shut and my lips pushed a still breath behind them, I was most definitely wide awake, but I wouldn't allow my mother to know that. Yet, the small clicks of  my door knob slowly turning in its gears behind told me a different story. The small matter of her thinking I was asleep would be irrelevant, since she would force me awake anyways.

I rustled in my bed, making small movements to mimic how I could assume was the normal way I slept. The door finished it's creaking and there began her heavy pounding of footsteps against the aged wood flooring, all the way to my side of my mattress. "Yumiko, wake up honey, I need you to do another favor for me." She softly cooed into my ear.

I began to make small noises close to the ones I'd always make when I was forcefully pulled from my sleep. The blanket spilling onto my face and shoulders was removed from the warmth it created on my body, and then, there came the icy bite of her hand against my face. "Come on, we can't keep him waiting."

And, now the final meaning behind her whispered visitation of the night. The same small task that I've completed numerous times before with no real problem. "But, mommy you promised there wouldn't be anymore. You said I was done." I blinked open my eyes to see the chilling new face my mother wore.

"I know, I just wasn't expecting him to abandon us like that." Her voice sounded sincere, like this stage of heartbreak was worse than the last. If the chance to avenge her was before me, I most certainly would do it; but I could only handle so many broken promises from the one I was supposed to keep faith in. "This will be the last one, I promise, after him I'm done."

It was always the same script. The same words of reassurance. The same promise. Yet, when would she take her own words of advice? When will things start to lighten up? And, when would she finally remove me from her romantic life and keep me out of it.

   Each patterned relationship she finds herself in, is full of happiness for the first two weeks at most, to then being so temporarily in love she invites them into our home, under our roof and wing. Where I sleep and try to find peace, there is always a new stranger being welcomed into the trouble that is my mother and I, the path that death always follows, and not by chance.

   She takes fondly to sorcerers, since that is what my father was, the very person who ignited love within but handed me the curse of a technique my mother loves to abuse. Her, being a sorcerer as well, thinks of herself highly and untouchable, even though the Higher Ups hold the tightest link of chains they can on her.

   My father was the white dove of freedom for her, the one thing that kept her at bay and lowered the Higher Ups guard for her possible destruction of demise. They were loving to me, the last source of love I was given since his unsolved passing.

I put on the fakest smile I could and rose from the comfort of my pillow, her chill bitten hand still clinging to my warm cheek. It was hard to tell if she was already altering my face or if she was simply offering me the one soothing touch she could for the month. "Where is he taking me?" I muttered with wandering eyes, one's that emptily searched my mothers foreign face.

"Oh no no no, this one's not for a money grab, this one's a quick death for revenges sake." Her sly tongue danced around her oral cavity similar to a serpents, spouting the very words that I would need to figure out what she would have me do. "You'll meet him at the motel, and play along until you find the perfect opening."