𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗

I hate surprises

I hate surprises. Ever since I was little, the idea of not knowing something didn't sit right with me. So having Artie whisking me away to God-knows-where to do God-knows-what on a Saturday made me very nervous.

Were we going to get something to eat? The mall? Or was I about to whacked? Who knows.

"When are you going to tell me where we're going?" I asked as we walked down the street after he parked further down the bustling downtown street.

The sky was cloudy - per usual for this place I've come to realize. Not that I minded. But a few rays of the sun were trying to break out of the cloud prison blocking them. The streets were busy with traffic and I moved closer to Artie to avoid being trampled by others walking by.

Artie's long legs made sure, confident strides and could've easily made it hard for my short ones to keep up, but he walked alongside me without issue.

His hair was messy, leaning to one side like a strong gale of wind assaulted it. He made it more so as he ran a hand through it out of habit.

"You'll see soon," he said, a glimmer of amusement shining in his eyes. "Just relax."

"If you tell me where we're going, I can," I grumbled. "I could've just stayed home." I preferred it actually.

"If I do, that ruins the spontaneity of this. Trust me, you'll enjoy it. Besides, if you had, I easily could've come in. Aunt Deb says I can come over whenever I want."

Hearing those words caused me to bristle.

It never occurred to me how easily people threw that phrase around until two years ago. So many people said, "Trust me," as if it were something insignificant; unimportant.

Before then, it was just a turn of phrase. But after everything, it held a whole new meaning.

"No offense, but I don't even know you so I can't-" It was then that it hit me.

By it, I mean the most beautiful, mouth-watering accumulation of smells that made your mouth orgasm. "Wait, what is that smell?"

The smell of slow-roasting meat, freshly made corn tortillas, and chopped tomatoes, cilantro, and cheese emanated from somewhere nearby.

Am I in heaven?

I think my stomach, mouth, and brain just died and got reincarnated.

"That, my dear Ellie, is the surprise." We came to a stop at a small, almost unnoticeable corner of the long line of eating places and shopping stores.

"I told you not to call me that. We're not friends. If I could kick your ass to the next county, I would've already."

It was not very big compared to the other ones we passed — more a vendor with an interior than anything. There was not anything special about it and aside from the sign that read El Cielo in red slanted writing, I would've passed it easily.