𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

It took some time for me to calm down and by the time I had, it was time to get ready for school

It took some time for me to calm down and by the time I had, it was time to get ready for school. I was finishing up making my bed when I heard a soft knock at the door as my aunt came in moments later.

I put my glasses on so she wasn't a literal blur. She was obviously a morning person if her cheerful smile were anything to go by. How do people do that?

"Oh, wonderful. You're awake. How'd you sleep, sweetie?"

Whatever answer I had died from an enormous yawn. Aunt Deb chuckled, letting me know breakfast would be ready soon and went back downstairs.

Trudging to the bathroom, I stripped out of my clothes. I will not admit how long it took to figure out all the buttons.

I tossed on a pair of black cargo pants and a loose fitting Bon Jovi T-shirt, though I had to hunt for my black Doc Martens that made their nest under the bed. My hair and bangs framed around my face like a veil, hiding me.

As I climbed down the stairs, I noticed my uncle's shoes at the door and I grew alert. Hearing his voice in the kitchen, I readied myself as I entered.

With my uncle being in Georgia, I was able to enjoy the past couple of days without worrying my breathing would piss him off. However, that short reprieve was over.

Sticking my phone and earbuds in my pocket, I didn't greet him as he sat in rumpled clothes eating a plate my aunt had given him. There were bags under his eyes and the start of a beard going on. He had the makings of a decent hobo.

His eyes were glued to the newspaper he was reading, but I felt him watch me as I made a beeline to the coffee maker.

"You shouldn't drink coffee, Ellie. You'll stop growing. Do you want to be a shrimp forever?" My dad's scraggly beard rubbed against my cheek as he kissed my forehead good morning.

"Daddy, I'm pretty sure I stopped growing in sixth grade. It's a little late for— Hey!" I glared at his back as he headed out to work. "I'm reporting you to your boss! A cop ain't s'posed to be a thief!"

"I love you too, Ellie Bear." He gave me a wink and a wave. "Make sure to turn the lights off when you leave."

Stab. Stab. Stab.

"Hope you're hungry." Aunt Deb hummed, drawing me out of the memory, steaming coffee in hand. She set a plate across from me as I scooted in a seat, cradling my coffee like it was my lifeline. She let out a sound, quickly getting up to grab something. "I meant to give you this yesterday. It's your schedule. Are you looking forward to school?"

I studied it for a few moments before folding it up in my pocket. I gave a noncommittal shrug as I cut into the omelet. As much as the food smelled divine, I honestly didn't have an appetite. The thought of eating made me sick and it didn't help that starting a new school made the anxiety that was already festering in my stomach worse. Actually, it wasn't the school part that I was anxious about, but the people part.