20 A psychic or a witch or a clairvoyant

Vani wasn't sure about the project she held in her hand. This was the first time she was handing in a project that had taken a back seat to her social life and she was nervous that she hadn't done her best work. Normally she would obsess over the subject, the paragraphs, the examples, citations, the sentence structure, the strength of each point and she would have written three papers and then obsessed over which one was the best.

The paper in her hand was a good effort but she hadn't had the time to obsess over it. She was feeling guilty and stressed.

"Chicka!" Vani heard Briar holler from across the foyer.

"Hey!" Vani called over the din of students milling around in the open space. "I THOUGHT YOU HAD CLASS?"  Vani yelled.

"I FINISHED ALREADY." Briar called back moving towards her.

"I have to drop off my paper." Vani returned to a normal voice as Briar came into range of her speaking voice.

"Why don't you drop it off during class?" Briar asked searching in her purse for something.

"Because then I would have just enough time to obsess over not obsessing enough and then I would convince myself that I need to obsess more so I would avoid handing it in and then I would stress that it was late. This way it is out of my hands." Vani shrugged.

"Don't you do most of your assignments online? Why do you have to hand in a paper copy?" Briar asked holding her purse strap between her teeth while digging through its contents.

"We are being graded on the presentation of the materials. It's my business class." Vani explained.

"Cool. Have you seen my bus pass?" Briar asked flipping open her wallet for the fifth time.

"Uh, no I don't think so. Where are you going?" Vani offered her hand to hold some of the things piling up under her room mates chin.

"I have to go to the optometrist this afternoon, remember?" Briar looked exasperated.

Vani looked down at the items in her hand. She shook her head.

"What time? I can drive you over as soon as I hand this in if you want." She put the make up, chapstick, pen, tissue package, box of mints, bandaid and tampons back in her friends open purse.

"Are you sure?" Briar asked with a defeated sigh.

"I am." Vani watched her friend try to fix her over stuffed purse and nearly drop her phone. She reached out and caught it as it tipped over the edge of the full purse.

Vani grinned. She poped open the back of the phone case and held it up to show her friend. The bus pass was neatly tucked in with forgotten gift cards and point cards from stores she never went to.

"I forgot about that!" Briar grinned.

"I figured as much. You never use this part." Vani clipped the case closed again.

"Always put things in there so I will have them and they won't get lost... but also I forget that the case opens because I don't hardly ever use it. So... win win?" Briar was finally put back together and she took her phone just as it dinged with a message.

"You go hand that in to professor dinosaur. And I will meet you back here in a few? I need to pee so bad!" Briar announced not caring who might overhear their conversation.

"Ok I will be like five-ten minutes." Vani nodded as she walked away from her friend.

**

It had been months since Vani had been off campus during the day. Normally she was studying or in classes. She liked that the sun was out and the snow seemed to be melting enough not to be too much of a bother.