Chapter One

*Hey um about right now I'm gonna make another account and take the two books I have with me. Its gonna be called educationisdeadly. so go on that account instead when I make it at around 10:11 PM 08/12/23

Again I think of Maven. He haunts me, a shadow on the sharp edges of the world. The last words he said to me before he threw me in the Bowl of Bones still rang in my mind. "I could set fire to the world and call it rain." A bold statement, and one I made no answer to.

Now I sit on the ledge of the Chest of Terror and watch the rest of the world. I've seen a thousand years pass beneath me and a thousand more still travel on. How I long to have gone with them, rather than stayed on this one miserable rock. I could have called myself cold, or called myself small. Not even so many years have passed for me, though Maven is still holding on. Maybe that is what ties me to this world, the violent shadow of a boy I used to love.

"Mare, come back to us," another voice calls to me.

I smile, but turn my face away. The look on his face is one of a lifetime's suffering. I turn back, and I see that his eyes are full of tears, with his lips set in a grimace of pain. I am about to speak when he grabs me by the neck and starts to shake me. I turn my face away, and he pulls his arms tighter around my neck. "Mare, don't do this. It's not fair. You've given enough. Just come home. Come back to us. Please."

My eyes snap open as the realization of his words hit me. He's begging me, aching for me, trying to get my attention. Attention I've wasted on one person. One person who never felt my heart.He is right, of course, I know he's right. Maven has hurt me. He's betrayed my trust and tossed me aside like a piece of trash. So why do I feel like everything is only worth it if he comes back to me. Why do I feel like I have to do anything for him. I want him to be happy, and I want to be the reason why he is.I have done this, over and over again. The idea I wouldn't do it once was insane. I know that now. I know it's not the best way to get what you want, but at least I'm honest about it. So now I look away from him and press my lips together, nodding and telling him a simple "no." I need to feel accomplished. Either at Maven's happiness or his suffering.

I clear my throat and speak louder, as if to a hysterical crowd. "Bree, I'm sorry, but I've given this a lot of thought. And the answer is no." My eyes move away from him. I can see how desperate he is to get me to follow him. To make me join the Guard again.

But through everything I've done, fighting Maven is something I won't do again. I am glad to say that Maven would agree as well. Seeing as his tears were the ones that stopped my anger. His plea for me not to make him fight me, saying he only wants to see me happy by his side, as his queen. His Red Queen. Bree bends and kisses me on the forehead. The gesture melts my heart, as I want to hold onto this forever. But I stand tall and pull away from him. I lean against the pillar as smile up at my poor older brother who only wants the best for me. 

"Please Bree, let me try, let me convince him. If he has me he'll stop fighting. I am all he wants."

He shook his head. As if refusing to accept that his little sister has to sacrifice herself to save them all. "Do you love him Mare?"I stop, wondering how to answer. "I love him as he was before, even though I don't love this new Maven, he looks close enough." Bree chuckles and turns to leave, deciding to leave it at that. But when he reached the edge of the steps leading down, he twisted and looked at me once more, a inquisitive expression on his face. "I know you loved Maven, but did you ever love Cal?" I shook my head. While Maven is still alive there would unfortunately be no other for me. He nodded and walked away, the familiar look in my eye seemingly enough explanation for him. It was, and always would be Maven.After he left I closed my eyes and leaned back against the pillar, resting my arms across my chest and feeling a little more at ease. It's a good thing he's gone. I hope one day I'll be able to forgive him and not hold this against him.