Chapter Three

With a sigh I attempt to stand up from the bed. The room is dark and quiet, no one should be awake this early in the morning, so why am I?

Tentatively, I reach for the bed I left Maven in, the cold sheet of cotton pushes at my fingertips. When I push harder, and the comforter finally gives way, I glance to my right and see the red silk gown hanging over my folded soldiers outfit. A piece of my life as the Scarlet Guard.

Barely daring to breathe, I dress quickly and slip the gown on, the silk feels smooth against my skin, the material hugging my curves, highlighting them.As I move to leave, the door opens and Maven is leaning against the doorframe, the shadows around him covering most of his face. His bright blue eyes immediately lock on mine, and his voice is steady, but insistent.

"Please, Mare, wait."

I stop, not wanting to turn around but not willing to refuse him. The metaphorical in between.

"Don't do this, please." I whisper, not willing to beg either

Maven steps into the room, giving me plenty of room to maneuver around him, but with him, that isn't much. His breath hits my face like a fiery wind and it feels like my lungs will collapse. I'm not in control of my body, I have no choice but to take whatever he gives me.

Maven moves behind me and with a single smooth motion he brings me up against the door, my hands come up to hold his arms, pulling me to me, my body flush against his.

"Mare, please, if I have to force you to be my queen, I will."

My breath comes in shudders, my heart is racing, I close my eyes, trying to think clearly, what have I done? How could I be so wrong about who I should be with?

The sudden slam of a door coming from the corridor jars me out of my trance, and I slowly raise my eyes to see Iris in the doorway, her usual smile plastered on her face, and Cal walking behind her, his face pale as a corpse.

"Well dear best friend, another day of trying to convince Mare Barrow to become your lawfully wedded wife?" She joked. Maven sent a small grin her way and turned his focus onto the man who had just walked in.

"Cal, what a wonderful surprise."

Cal's gaze immediately shifted to Maven, taking in the figure in front of him, eyes widening in recognition.

"You made me a Knight" he stated, his voice cracking slightly with disuse. "You want me killed." Maven grinned even wider and replied "wouldn't you do it all for Mare? She is the person replacing you after all."

Cal started to shake with fury, "she would never!"

Maven let out a vicious laugh, "How do you know? Have you ever asked her? I bet you never even heard of House Barrow" Cal clenched his jaw and frowned, knowing Maven was right. 

I caught Iris staring at me intently, wondering what was going through my brain at this moment.

She noticed I'd seen her staring so she quickly said her goodbyes to Maven, who acknowledged her with a nod, and walked off, leaving us with a slightly betrayed Cal Calore.