Chapter Two

Maven's return pulled me from my self-pity, and I turned to see him with his ever present grin, leading me inside to a banquet hall. He sat down in the throne, and gestured for me to go first. Still maintaining his grin, he asks "Why, why is it that you have come to join the Court?"

I don't have an answer, so I just take a seat at the head of the table. "Because you made me, and no one else will take me. The only one who would accept me is you. I need you to help me with my decision."

He is speechless for a moment, but then a small smile tugged at the corner of his mouth. "You have made your decision. It was your choice to be reborn as a Silver, Mareena Barrow."

My eye twitched as I focused on Maven's appearance in his elegant throne, his blue eyes looked like flames from heaven, and his raven black hair shined navy blue in the sun. I had never seen someone like him. I don't want to be like him.

"I did want to join the Court, but I wasn't aware that I could. I was never told about this ceremony. I don't understand why I could join you.""The reason that you could join me is because you chose a Knight to take your place, and you've made your choice so they are forbidden to step foot in the Court of the Burning Crown." He paused to eat."What?" I gasp, my heart sinking. Not because I don't want Cal to be my Knight, I do, but I don't want him to die.

He nods. "I know this is sudden, but you must choose a Silver formerly part of this Court. Before Cal comes, I implore you to choose him as a Knight instead, as he is an exiled prince, and the former Crown Prince before me, he is eligible to be your Knight."

I am conflicted, I think about the ring on my finger, and the only way to join is with Cal. I think of my duty as a Red to never let anything happen to the former prince, and then I think about the words of queen Elara to make my decision.

"Yes." I mutter.

I am carried in my thoughts as I hear the response. "You have chosen Cal as your Knight. I would ask you to join us for a moment so I can speak to you about a final decision."My head swims, my legs barely able to keep me up in the chair. I feel like the world around me is spinning out of control, I grab the edge of the chair to steady myself.

I nod, feeling sick, I take a sip from my goblet, and look at the sleeping form of Cal. I don't want to see him as he is right now.

"I understand, Maven, but I would still like to see Cal before I make my choice."

He turns to me, his face suddenly full of his ever present grin. "Then you will see Cal, as all the others have seen him. How is he, Ptolemus?"

I see Ptolemus Samos standing in the hallway, with his hood covering his head, a sword at his side. He is the Lord of House Samos, my sister's fiancée, and the killer of my brother, Shade.

"His heartbeat is faster than usual. He may not wake up for several days, do you want to throw him into the Outer Ring now and wait for Iris to send the go ahead to kill or do you want us to wait so he can regain consciousness?"I wince." Maybe I can have a word with his healer."

Maven nods to Ptolemus, " Wait for Iris to send the signal, then throw him outside Court walls."

A pounding hits my chest as I leave the room. Not, I realize, for the fate of Cal, but for the truth that suddenly hits me.

'I'm going to be Maven's Red Queen'