take a break - S.J | fluff

a/n: this probably sucks but here is the first part to my new daughter!reader one shots book so enjoy. I promise they will get better, feel free to request etc and I will do my best <3
------------------------------------------

The moment you opened your eyes, you wished they were still closed and that you hadn't woken up just yet. Your head was pounding and eyes burned from how bright the sun was that had been coming through into your room. Your body felt like it was made of bricks with how hard it was to move around. But you had to pick yourself up and get out of bed so you could make it to class on time. Thinking a shower would be just what you needed to freshen up and lessen the pain. Which the heat from the water did manage to help, if only a little, at least it was something. Maybe not enough to make it through the entire day without pain, but that wasn't your concern right now.

Opting to continue an attempt at pushing through and pretending you were well enough and that you didn't need to be crawling into bed instead of crawling down the stairs into the kitchen. You just knew that if you stopped now and didn't even try an attempt then you would feel like a failure. Other people had it worse but kept going so there was no reason that you couldn't. Knowing it wasn't fair to yourself to have these thoughts and to make these comparisons, you just didn't have the energy in your body to fight those thoughts away. Not attending classes just to lay around, whining about how poorly you were feeling would let everyone else down, you thought. Especially your mom.

Your mom always worked so hard and had achieved so much, you didn't think that she would let a simple cold or an achy body stop her. Wanting to keep your mom proud of you, helped make your decision. Although you hadn't accounted for running into her while grabbing something small to eat.

'Mom? What are you still doing here?' You thought she had mentioned needing to go into the office earlier today, or maybe that was tomorrow. Your brain was too hazy to remember anything properly right now.

'Good morning to you too,' Scarlett spoke sarcastically before playfully smiling as she caught the subtle eye roll you gave her in response, 'Going in earlier tomorrow so I get to see you before we both start our days,' Scarlett loved being able to see you in the morning, especially if you both had full days ahead of you. The times she got to spend with you, no matter how small, she would always cherish. When people ask her why she's so happy and smiling so early in the morning the answer is always you.

'Mom I'm going to be late,' You tried to push Scarlett away while she pulled you in for a hug. Though her eyebrows furrowed when she noticed the slight wince you made when her body came into contact with yours. Even a gentle hug was too much and made the pain in your body almost too much. Your body was too weak so you gave up and let the gentle embrace try and give you some comfort. Your mom was your comfort person. Even if she couldn't give you that physical peace, Scarlett could always give you that mental peace you needed.

'Honey, are you feeling okay?' Your mom held you at arms length while trying to find more evidence that you weren't feeling well. You were good at masking how you really felt, to an extent. Something your mom disliked since you could easily lie to her, but at the same time she loved it since you learnt a few things from watching her movies and the times you helped her memorise lines or run scenes.

You did think about completely lying to her but it's Scarlett, your mom, and you didn't know how well you could act without her seeing through you. Choosing to tell her a little but not the complete truth. Enough that would satisfy and not allow for any follow up questions or investigating from her, 'Just a bit tired but I'll be fine. Honestly nothing to worry about,' You tried to reason.

'As your mother I'm always going to worry about you, my baby,' Scarlett held you closer again, holding your head gently while rubbing your back lightly. Closing your eyes, you let out a sigh as you enjoyed the relief the light back rubs was giving you from the ache your body was holding, 'You're feeling a bit warm too. How about you stay home today?' She framed it like a suggestion but knowing better it was her way of telling you what to do.

'But mom,' You started but stopped when you saw the raised eyebrow she was throwing your way, 'mama,' you sighed and tried to get as close to Scarlett as you could.

'What's going on?' She noticed the frown on your face and the name change that you used for her. Knowing her precious baby well, Scarlett picked you up, carrying you to the couch where she sat you in her lap. Holding you as close as she could get you understanding it's what you needed, even if you had silently communicated that to her, 'Come on, talk to mama,'

You let out a breath before you started, 'I really don't feel well,' letting your body full relax in your mom's embrace felt nice. You didn't have to use what little energy you had to keep your body going right now, 'But I can't stop mama, I can't let everyone down. I can't let you down,' Whispering the last part but you knew she heard you.

'Oh honey,' Scarlett sighed, ' By taking time to rest and letting your body recover isn't you letting anyone down. Actually I'm just as proud of you to listen to what your body needs and do just that,'

'But you don't do that. You wouldn't let a silly cold stop you from being on the go,' As soon as those words left your mouth you felt your mom stiffen slightly, though not for long. Luckily you managed to miss the flash of guilt that washed over her face as the realisations set in. All these years Scarlett spent trying to always have her appearance be the perfect mom for you, that she missed the most important part. Still letting you see her be human, and resting was a part of being human. A part that was important to her, making sure you knew how to take care of yourself and setting you up for a healthy future meant the most to Scarlett.

'Oh, I'm so sorry. Sometimes I mess up as a mom and that's okay. Just as okay as you letting yourself stop for a day or so,' She guided your head to lean back on her shoulder while gently running her fingers along your hair, 'I know I hide when I get sick from you, but because you're my baby and you shouldn't have to worry about that. Now I see you needed that so your little brain could recognise that needing a break isn't a weakness. It'll take some relearning but how about we start with today? Let mama take care of you, show you it's okay to rest and you aren't disappointing anyone,'

You nodded and let out a small yawn closing your eyes. Your mom carefully moved the two of you, making sure you were comfy as she laid you down on the couch. Scarlett swiftly moved around the house after calling Kate to let her know the situation at home and that she needed to stay home to look after you for today. Collecting everything she needed and making her way back to where you were left on the couch.

Little soft and deep breaths could be heard making your mom smile. Sure she hated to see you in such a state but she also loved taking care of you. On the opposite end of the couch where you weren't, Scarlett laid out a few blankets and pillows making a little nest for the two of you to cuddle and watch movies. She made sure to have water, some snacks and medication within arms reach for when you woke back up.

Carefully Scarlett got under the blankets and pulled you back into her embrace, holding you gently and making sure you stayed asleep. After all that was exactly what you needed. You knew you could always count on your mom to help you catch up on anything you missed out on today. Always good to you like that.

A soft kiss to your forehead, Scarlett leaned her forehead on yours for a moment. A little smile still on her lips. Taking the time to have a rest day was beneficial for both you and your mom. You will always need your mom and she knew that. No matter what, you will always be her little baby.