Chapter 2

Jane's POV:

Only 3 hours left until my arrival at Nevermore is expected from the head mistress herself, Larissa Weems. Through doing my research on Nevermore, I found that she was known for being a shapeshifter as well as her charitable donations to the town. I've been in contact with Larissa through text and email for roughly 2 months prior to today. She gave me her number so if anything happened we were able to communicate. Larissa mentioned that she had no one to supervise oil painting 101 with her, so I volunteered to accompany her and help out. I'm not sure why I said I would, I haven't painted in years. I used to paint and sell my work to get by, I was even a tattoo artist for a couple years.

Driving through Jericho brings back so many memories. This is where my mother was from. My grandmother lives in the house that overlooks the town, so if I ever need a place to stay then she is only 20 minutes away. I turned on my bluetooth and decided to play some music. This was also so I can answer any calls from the school on my way there. I ended up listening to Micheal Buble' for the next 20 minutes or so before stopping at a cafe to get some coffee.

I walked in, only to see my grandma talking to Sheriff Galpin. That's never good. 

"Grandma Lucy!" she snapped around to see me.

"Jane!! How are you my dear? It feels like I haven't seen you in ages my sweet girl," she said as she was walking towards me, opening her arms. 

As I was giving her a hug I whispered, "Why are you talking to him? He is bad news Gram."

"Jane, you worry too much my dear. Besides, if he tries anything, I'll have his head on a sick," Gram said delightedly. 

I chuckled as her and I sat down at a booth. A boy came over and asked me if would like anything. I settled on a hot chocolate with whipped topping to go. When he brought me my beverage and left, my grandma spoke up.

"It has been too long darling. You know since your mother died, no one has contacted me. They believe I caused her passing. I tried to save her, but there was nothing I could do, she saw something that night. In her dreams. When I found her body, I checked her dreams because there were bruises on her arms. It was a monster. I don't kn-" she stopped talking immediately. I turned around to see the sheriff looking our way. Listening to our conversation.

"So, anybody interesting you in life recently? I see that there's still no ring on your finger. I thought you and Cecilia were getting pretty serious," she questioned me. Gram has always had her way of changing from one uncomfortable conversation to the next.

I could never tell her the truth, she loved Cecilia. It would break her heart if she knew that she cheated on me with some red head. I don't know the woman's name. All I saw was the nudes she sent Cecilia the same night she proposed to me.

"Cici and I grew apart Gram, there was nothing either of us could do," I told her. 

What I said was true. Just didn't give her the details about what happened. 

Gram sighed, "I know, I just wish things went differently between the two of you."

I was speechless, I couldn't give her the details she wanted. Gram would've been devastated. 

She got up and threw her cup away, and came back to say our goodbyes.

"I love you grandma, be safe and stay out of trouble with the authorities. We don't need a repeat of Waynesburg," I said smirking.