Chapter 4

Two weeks later and Tim and I are back at work.  we found a daycare right across the street from the Station so we were both close in case something happened. Angela had come over many times in the last couple of weeks. she helped me pack up their apartment while Tim stayed with Toby and she was patient with me every time I had to stop to let out a few tears and she had been there at Justice and Zack's funeral. She was  there for me  just like she always was because that was the kind of friend she was.

It felt good to be back and sitting in roll call. we got our assignments for the day and were all released to the streets. John looked relieved  to be riding with me again. to be honest I would be to if I were stuck with Smitty for two weeks. Not to mentioned Chen almost looked relieved to be back riding with Tim. As I made my way to the shop I walked past the rookies getting the gear and war gags together. John quickly came up beside me trying to keep up with my brisk pace. "Mam i heard about your sister. I'm sorry for your loss." i stopped and looked at him. " Boot this is not something i want to talk about okay. thank you for the kind words but lets get to work."  i snapped he just nodded " Yes mam" he walked to the back of the car. i let out a sigh of guilt and got into the shop. " Look I'm sorry I shouldn't have snapped at you like that but I have had people apologizing for my loss left and right  for two weeks and i just really need to not talk about it right now okay ." " I understand mam... Maybe i can ask what has it been like having your nephew around." i smiled at just the thought of Toby. " Its been an adjustment but he is amazing. he loves his Uncle Tim that's for sure." I said with a smile still on my face. "Huh." i heard Nolan say with a little hint of a chuckle. " What's so funny?" I said still smiling " Nothing I just have a hard time imagining Officer Bradford being good with kids. According to Lucy he is kind of a hard-ass." he said cautiously. I  laughed " Well that's kind of  his job he is her T.O. not her friend." Nolan nodded. " He made her walk behind there shop for like twenty minutes till she could tell him where they were." he said laughing " Oh the old  "I've been shot where are you ?"... Yup I know that one." I said laughing.

The day was relatively light for LA. I did however notice that Nolan would get a text every twenty minutes or so then look at me like he was nervous and wanted to tell me something but was choosing against it.  And it had just happened again while we were headed back to the station for end of shift and this time I could really tell that something was eating at him.

"Boot you are thinking really load over there what is going on with you." I said in my best T.O. Voice

" Umm.. Lucy has been texting me she is worried that Tim is not dealing coming back to work after getting shot very well."  I instantly pulled the shop over

"What are you talking about? What happened?" i asked

" Apparently he started a fight with a Biker Gang. Just pulled up told Lucy not to call for back-up. and asked them who needed a felony. And they fought." Nolan said nervously

I didn't say a word just continued heading back to the station. When we got there I saw Tim head into the Men's locker room. " Nolan go finish up the paper work then you good to head out okay." I said as went to the Woman's locker room. quickly changed and by the time i was done Nolan was waiting for my signature on the paperwork which I quickly gave him. and headed to my truck not bothering to wait for Tim even though i knew we rode together today as we always do but if he wanted to be a moron and try to get him self killed he can find his own way home.

I went and picked Toby up and went home where I started Dinner. I purposely didn't make any for Tim, who has called half a million times and texted probably twice as much. I just ignored my phone and continued on with my nightly routine of eating dinner and feeding Toby. playing and having tummy time then doing bath time before putting the baby to bed. By 9 o'clock I had been home for a little over an hour and was now laying in bed when Nolan texted me " hey sorry if I started a fight between you guys that wasn't at all my intention i just thought you should know" so i responded "Its not your fault boot just forget about the whole thing and make sure you come in bright and early for shift tomorrow." he just responded with a thumbs up emoji . I decided that now would be the perfect time for a hot bath so that's what i did. As i was starting to finally relax and think of what i was going to say to Tim when he got home Tim walked in the Door. I could hear him move through the house then he walked into our bedroom and through to our in suit bathroom where i was facing away from the door way  in the tub. "I see you made it home okay." I said dryly " Look Dolly..." he said but i cut him off. " No you look.. I made peace with the fact that there could come a day where this job makes me a widow  but I'll be damned if you make me one. We have a Baby to take care of now why would you try to throw all this away. were you trying to get yourself killed or just trying to make me stand in a hospital  waiting room again wondering if your even still alive... you know what I cant do this right now I just.." By this point I was in tears and I  was gradually getting loader without even noticing that was until Toby woke up crying. that's when Tim said " Ill get him." He walked out of the room and I lost it bursting into tears. I realized that the bath was no longer going to be able to calm me down so i got out and got dressed in my  PJs  and lied in bed in the dark and just let the tears fall.

About twenty minutes or so  later Tim walked back in to the bedroom. " Dolly are you still awake." I didn't respond but i knew he could tell i was by my breathing. " Dolly I know your mad and i am so sorry i promise i was not trying to get myself killed or anything i just...I don't know i guess i felt i needed to prove I could still do this job that getting shot didn't make me weak. I would never throw away what we have here I love you and I love Toby." As he was talking i felt the bed dip and I felt him lay down behind me. i turned over towards him and sat up. " So let me get this straight you picked a fight with a biker gang because you were afraid that because you got injured in a shoot out it would make everyone think you were weak." i said looking at him with the best WTF face I could muster. " Okay well when you say it like that it sounds stupid."  he said sitting back up as well  " It was stupid. you are the strongest man I know  after everything you have been through with your dad,  the Army and, as a cop you have to know that no one on this earth would think of you as weak. " he just nodded  i turned to him and cupped his face with my hand." I love you Tim and I need you so you cant go putting yourself in even more danger then you are already in okay." I said before kissing him. " So does this mean we're okay or?" he said looking deep into my eyes. " It means you are on dipper duty for at least a week but yes we are okay." I said he grinned" I can deal with that."